#31 - Not Him Again

Joe had a pretty average start to the week. He did monotonous paperwork and checked off on projects. When he got a job working in the research division he thought it'd be more hands on. But instead all he did was watch people do stuff.

"Why you looking down," Kirra said as she brought him another batch of paperwork.

"Not really in the mood to go through paperwork," Joe replied. He really loved Kirra but living together meant his Lynx time was really limited. And it wast just that the city needed it, he wanted to get out away from his job.

"Your probably just coming down from your high on the weekend," just as she said that the phone started ringing. Kirra walked over to her desk and answered it with, "Hello, this is Mr Maranto's office." There was a brief moment of silence before she said, "Sure I'll put him on right away." She put down the phone and said, "Miss Canter is on the phone."

"Thanks," Joe said before picking up the phone. "Good morning Miss Canter."

"Hello Joseph," she replied. "Sir believes you will need to be going out tonight, so he has came up with an excuse for you."

"I don't understand," Joe said.

"Tell your secretary girlfriend that you have to a meeting with Mr Rufereberg tonight at 7, it's all on record," Miss started. "Then go to your hideout at that time, more info will be waiting there."

"Ok then," Joe replied. "I'll be there." Joe hung up the phone and buried his hands in his face.

"What now?" Kirra asked.

"Mr Ruferberg wants to have a big chat with me except the only time he has available this week is at 7 tonight," Joe answered.

"Aww honey that sucks," Kirra replied. "I know how hard you've been working. Are you gonna stay here or go and comeback."

"Nah I'll give the both of us an early mark then come back," Joe said.

"Ok," Kirra started, "Just let me know when you want to leave." Joe thanked her and then returned to his work. He was really sucpisous about what was going on. It was unusual for Unity to call him up and give him an excuse like this. Whatever it is, it must be important.

***

That night just before 7, Joe said goodbye to Kirra and headed off. But instead of going to the office, he went straight to his hideout. Almost as soon as he walked in through the sliding rock door, an alert came up on the computer. 'There will be a bank robbing in half an hour at the national bank'.

He had to hand it to Unity they were good. He still had a strong suspicion though. Why so much fuss over a bank robbing and how do they know? All great questions but there was still an emergency at hand, he grabbed his gear and headed off. Once he arrived he realised that getting in undetected might be an issue. The bank was closed and all locked up.

He found a way around it by leaping his way onto the roof and breaking through the access door which luckly wasn't on an alarm. He then travelled down into the lobby and took up position. Just then he realised it was the same bank which he'd stopped robbers from a few months ago.

Back then it seemed like much simpler times. He didn't have to worry about Kirra before going out. There was no Machete or Copycat. And he didn't have anything to lose. Now he had everything.

He was crouched behind a desk between the entrance and the vault then waited for them to come. When Joe looked back on those days they seemed so boring but for the Lynx they were best. Before he even knew it he heard something smash through glass and the door creek open. Immediatley Joseph was on high alert.