#34 - The Word is Out

Mr Ruferberg stood in front of a microphone stand, while hundreds of reporters were spread out in a sea infront of him. Camera flashes went off every few seconds making the light almost blinding. He took a deep breath and re-assured himself this was the right thing to do.

"I started Unity almost forty years ago to help protect people," Sir started. "I quickly found out that there were things that I couldn't protect people from as a Security company. So I made my company more than that. Most of you know Unity as the company that makes locks and armored cars, but that's just our public face."

"Our real objective is to protect the world from threats know one else can. Last night you saw one of these threats. Super-humans do exist and you'd be frightened how many and how powerful they are. But there is no reason to be afraid. Unity is doing everything in its power to protect the world."

"Everyone knows the Lynx. He is a Unity backed superhero. The first actually. From this announcement I suspect many more people to emerge who want to make a difference. We discourage such behavior. The team you saw take down the threat last night is part of Unity. They travel the world protecting you from threats you never even knew existed."

"The world will change because of what I'm saying today. Super-humans may choose to reveal themselves to the world. There is no need to exclude them. They are just like any other people, just extraordinarily talented. If they have any concern we urge them to contact us, we can help."

"Unity will continue doing its job, protecting you. Due to security reasons I cannot reveal anymore details about our company. It is imperative that you not panic. That you don't scrutinise super-humans simply because they are different. The world will still spin the same way it did yesterday and we ask that you treat it like that. Thank you."

Sir stood down from the stand and immediatley the whole area lit up with camera flashes. Reporters were screaming questions at him but he just walked away back to his car and left.

Joe and Kirra were sitting at home watching the report on the tv. Kirra sat with her mouth wide open, unable to believe what was going on. While Joe was trying to act the same way.

"Oh my god," Kirra exclaimed. "What? How? What?" She sat staring blankly at the screen for another few minutes. "I can't believe it."

"I know," was all Joe could say.

"It's amazing!" Kirra screamed.

"What!?" Joe questioned.

"We work for the company that protects the world from super villians," Kirra replied.

"You're not at all freaked out by this," Joe asked.

"Are you kidding me this is the coolest thing ever," Kirra said. She went on and on about how amazing it was no matter how much Joe tried to talk her out of it. To be honest Joe was hoping this was the excuse he could use to leave the company. But he was sure if he tried it Kirra would not be happy. It looked like he would have to stay.

The next day...

The morning news was filled with re-runs of last nights announcement. There was literally nothing else on. The idea that the world could soon be filled with superheroes drove everybody crazy. It was the biggest news story of the millennium.

It wasn't all that appealing to Joe. It just meant that there were more threats that he may not be able to take down. At least Unity were facing the music. The public will probably never know what happened the other night and it was best it stay that way. The world needed a trustworthy security organisation.

At around ten, Tegan came over to talk with Kirra. After saying hello and engaging in some chit chat. Joe gave them some privacy, telling them he was going for a run. Infact he was going to go back to his hideout. The painkillers were starting to wear off and he desperately needed them.