#24 - The Grand Finale

Joseph entered the warehouse where he had earlier met Machete. Once he found out that Machete knew about his plan to bring Kris into this he ran across the city to get back in time to perhaps join the battle. But by the time he got there he was in no shape to fight, and there was no one to fight.

From the look of the room a great battle had taken place with one victorious. There were splatters of blood all over the floor with a large pool of dried blood in one spot. It was obvious whoever layed there had been dragged of from the trail that led from it. The question was who won the fight.

Joe had instructed Kris specifically not to kill Machete, but didn't think he wouldn't go against his word. I guess he would have to wait till tomorrow, it was late and Kirra would be wondering where he was. He found his car and drove home. When he arrived Kirra was in bed asleep so he snuck in and hopped into the bed next to her. Needless to say he didn't get much sleep that night.

***

Joe had dropped in at Kris Kurt's apartment in his lunch break but found nobody at home. He told himself that he was probably at work, he was to scared to face the circumstances. He tried to put it into the back of his mind and work but he just couldn't, and it was showing.

"Joe are you alright," Kirra asked when she noticed he was typing strangely.

"Yeah, I think I'm just a bit sick," Joe lied. He had been lying his girlfriend a lot recently.

"Maybe you should go home and rest," Kirra said. Joe weighed up his options and figured that, that was probably the best thing for him to do. Kira arranged for Tegan to pick her up and take her home while Joseph left.

He returned home but had no intentions of staying. He left a post it note on the table saying he'd gone to the doctor and would be back soon. Then he snuck away to his secret hideout in the forest.

***

Joseph spent his afternoon trying to find a trace that Kris was still alive. He searched through all the applications installed on the software in his computer. He even searched through social media to see if he'd had any recent activity. But nothing was coming up. The worst bit was not knowing. Not knowing if he'd sacrificed Kris life to stop Machete. And not knowing if Machete was still a problem.

Around 6 when Joe was sitting on the floor in a wreck Joe finally got his answer. It came in an alert on the screen that his system had been hacked followed by a video message by none other than the Machete. Joseph almost lost control when he saw his face on the screen.

"So Lynx, thought you could send the copycat to come do your bidding," Machete started. "Oh, don't worry he's not hurt too bad." Joe shot to his feet and began listening intently. Kris was still alive.

"But if you want to live with the death of this man on your shoulders than I suggest you meet me on top of Metric Tower as quickly as you can. Hurry life is hanging in the balance."

Joe sprinted up the forest trail to his car and sped across town. He didn't bother parking a few blocks away this time he found the nearest parking spot and shot out of his car. The Metric Tower was probably Rayn City's most recognizable landmark. It stood 40 stories high with amazing views of the city and out across the bay.

It didn't take long for Joe to leap up the stair well, four stories at a time. He burst out onto the roof to find the Machete standing there next to Kris who looked badly beaten up, but alive.

"Oh, just in time," Machete said, "Kris here was just about to free fall 40 stories."

"Let him go, this is between you and me," Joe replied.