Chapter 97

There was a knock on the front door while I was still eating, and I stopped myself from putting my food in my mouth and looked at the kitchen door, my heart stopping before it started to pound faster.

He's here...

My mouth went dry, and I looked at Dr. Wilson, bit the inside of my lip, and set my fork down on my plate with its contents still on.

Dr. Wilson looked at the door and frowned. "Hmph," he said and cleared his throat. "It looks like your father is here," he said and looked at me. "Would you like for him to come in now?" He raised an eyebrow and cocked his head while he studied me.

I hesitated and looked down, not able to say a word while I shrugged.

Again, there was a knock on the door, this one getting impatient, and my heart skipped a beat before it started to pound faster and faster than it had done previously.

"Your Highness?" Dr. Wilson asked while he looked at me. Concern filled his eyes while he studied me, and I couldn't help but bite my lip and dip my head closer to my chest. "Do you want me to send him away?"

I sighed before I shook my head. "No," I said before I cleared my throat and shifted on my seat. "I don't think that it'll be a great idea. You can let him in."

Dr. Wilson pressed his lips into a thin line but nodded. "Of course, Your Highness," he said. He cleared his throat and stood. "Continue to eat. You are going to need your strength."

I bit back a small sigh before I nodded. "I will," I said before there was a knock on the door again. "You should go ahead and let him in. He is going to break down the door if you don't."

Dr. Wilson bit back a small smile. "Hmph," he said and dipped his head. He didn't say a word before he cleared his throat and shifted on his feet. Worry filled his eyes, and I could tell that he didn't want to let him in but knew that he had to.

"Go," I said, and Dr. Wilson chuckled softly before he nodded.

"Of course, Your Highness," he said. He bowed before he started to walk to the door, and I bit back a small sigh before I shook my head, a little amused.

I started to eat again while I started to shake my leg, becoming more and more nervous with each passing second.

Lucas hopped onto my shoulder and gently nipped my ear. He didn't say a word and ruffled his feathers, soothing me.

I bit back a small sigh and closed my eyes while I leaned my head against Lucas's chest, grateful that he was there. "Thanks, Lucas," I said softly.

Lucas didn't say a word and nuzzled me closer. He gripped my shoulder a little more but didn't do it hard enough to hurt me.

I started to eat more while I waited for my father to enter the apartment before entering the kitchen.

"Mreow," my cat said and hopped into my lap. She purred and started to knead on my leg, her claws catching onto my clothes and skin.

"We're going to need to cut your nails just a bit, Tig," I said softly while I started to rub her head with my free hand. "Your claws are sharp."

My cat held back an eye roll before she closed her eyes. She flicked her tail and stopped kneading my leg hard.

"You do too," I said and looked at Lucas, and Lucas bit back a small scoff and rolled his eyes. I bit back a small smile and rubbed his chest. "I'm serious, Lucas," I said softly. "It's hurting my shoulder.

Lucas puffed his chest out further and ruffled his feathers. He didn't say a word while he narrowed his eyes, and I bit back a small smile before I started to eat again.