coated

SHE LISTENED to Maggie's words as she climb through the window of the Hilltop home. She didn't dare to look down as her toes were the only thing keeping her from falling. She slowly moved down the small sill on the outside of the home, grabbing onto one of the gutter pipes and some bricks. Her heart pounded as she began ascending and scaling the wall. She was already at the top level of the building, just a short climb to the roof, but that didn't sooth her fear. She only caught her breath and controlled her heart rate when she lifted herself onto the roof, laying on her back for a moment as she stared at the stars in the sky.

The Saviors came when the sky fell dark. They had been preparing for it after they tempted them with their escape from Alexandria. They knew they'd be at the Hilltop after they bombed their community to ashes and dust. Maggie had sent them a little present too, which no doubt tempted them even more to attack. To lure Negan to the Hilltop, Maggie had killed one of the Saviors that they held captive and sent him to Negan in a box.

"Negan. I want to talk to Negan." Maggie said through the walkie. She stood on the front porch of the Hilltop home with Gregory and a few of the prisoners.

A voice came through, but it wasn't Negan's. "Well, hello there. You are speaking to Negan, but my birth certificate says 'Simon.' With whom do I have the distinct displeasure of speaking?"

"Maggie. Maggie Rhee. The Widow." Her voice was ice and fire all in one.

"Well, then. Hello again, Widow Rhee, and allow me to offer my condolences. For what's happened and what's about to happen. In case it's not already plain as Hilltop potatoes, yours truly is speaking on behalf of Negan this go 'round. And I assure you that the man himself personally received your care package next day delivery. I noticed it was the box that I gave you in good faith- trick's on me. But the bill's come due, and you and your people are gonna have to pay. Quite dearly, I'm afraid."

There was static for a moment before Maggie replied. "Your 39 people are alive and breathing. Turn around and leave us be, and they stay that way. But if you don't, I have 39 bullets that I will personally fire into all 39."  Maggie let one of their captives speak to Simon for a moment. His voice was shaky. "It's too nice a night to spend it dyin' slow, don't you think, Simon?" 

Maggie took back the walkie for herself. "How's this gonna go?"

"Well, Maggie Rhee, this is highly regrettable, but the way I see it, the Saviors you're in possession of there are damaged goods. You know, they've got themselves into their own pickle, and this organization prizes those who, 'A', avoid capture and, 'B', figure out their own shit when said outcome eventuates. Which, in the end, is my way of saying screw them."

Gregory cleared his throat. "Do you really think that cockamamie play would work?"

"It will." Maggie responded, shoving the walkie into her pocket.

Willow scooted toward the highest point on the roof with her rifle, staring down the scope at the headlights beyond the Hilltop's gates. She could just barely see the silhouettes of the Saviors that were there. She tried her best to spot Dwight. Tara had told her about him going with the Saviors when they were working their way back to the Hilltop after Alexandria was bombed. She said he had saved her and the rest of them from being discovered. He had redirected them to a completely separate path, sparing them and saving them some time to get to the colony. 

She finally spotted him beside the front truck. She made a mental note to watch his position. After he's helped them so much, the least she could do was not snipe him in the head.

Her eyes darted to the right when she heard Daryl's motorcycle. The Saviors also looked in that direction when they heard it. Daryl rounded a bend in the road, and the second he saw the Saviors, he started shooting. The Saviors dove for cover and scrambled to get back into their trucks and vehicles as Daryl got closer. His gun unloaded the bullets at an insane speed as he drove it to the Hilltop gates that were now open. He got inside, and the Saviors followed him right in, just as they expected them to.