incarcerated

8 GRUESOME MONTHS had gone by.

It was a no brainer that most of the group had began to lose hope of finding any place that could even be just a little safe. T-Dog had lost the truck after it blew a tire, no spare in the trunk, leaving most of the group crammed into Rick and Maggie's cars. Food was a rarity, so the group settled with whatever Daryl was lucky enough to kill on his hunts. Most of the time it was half sized squirrels, and only one or two at a time. The days grew colder and more frigid than usual for the state of Georgia. Most days were unbearable. 

There was a brief spike in the groups hope when they came across a few department stores and a gun store. They were able to snag heavier coats from one store, more bandages from another, and a decent amount of ammo from the gun store. A few of the stores had little snacks that they grabbed and softer foods for Sienna. Carl had spotted out multiple silencers for their guns in the gun store, and that was the best find yet. Their muscles ached as they traveled and took down walkers with their knives or any sharp object they could find. With the silencers, it was much easier on their bodies. 

After a few more miles along the seemingly never ending road, they spotted a few houses further back from the road. They were desperate for anything, so Rick pulled off to the side of the road, Daryl stopping his motorcycle behind them followed by Glenn and Maggie stopping as well.

Rick stepped out of the vehicle. "Those houses seem to be in decent condition. Wouldn't hurt to check it out."

Daryl stepped off his bike, Carol stepping off soon after. "Let's do it."

They trailed down a long rock driveway, approaching the house carefully. It was a decent sized, two-story house, and it looked almost untouched. They quietly ascended the few porch steps as Rick and Daryl took point, Python and crossbow up and ready. Rick took a moment to lean his head against the door, listening for any movements inside the house before kicking the door in, immediately revealing a tall walker who was already barreling towards Rick. He put a clean silent shot into its head before T-Dog stormed in, stabbing another walker in the head with a fire poker. 

The rest of the group stepped inside with their weapons, taking quick glances around before proceeding to different rooms. Willow stepped into the living room, letting out a slight breath of relief to see no walkers. A slim doorway caught her eye, one to a small and narrow closet. She stepped inside slowly, holding a flashlight in one hand and her pistol in the other. There were blankets and clean linens resting on metal shelves that made her heart leap. Her eyes scanned further along the closet, noticing a worn out door to her right. She inched towards it slowly, not letting her hand ease up around the gun. She stood with her hand on the door knob for a moment before she quickly slung it open, taking high alert of the figure in front of her. Out of habit, she nearly pulled the trigger, but she quickly put her gun down at Daryl standing in front of her with his crossbow aimed right at her head.

"Jesus Daryl, you're gonna take my damn head off." Willow said between exasperated breaths.

Daryl lowered his crossbow, chuckling. "Anythin' good?" He slid past her, rummaging through the blankets and sheets.

"Not unless you want a nice pink blanket." She turned and grabbed the blanket, tossing it into his chest.

"I don't know, maybe it suits me." He joked, throwing it to the ground. "You check upstairs yet?"

She shook her head.

"Come on." He gestured her to follow him as he raised his crossbow again, heading out of the closet.

He stayed in front of her as they went up the stairs slowly. To the right of the stairs was the only room of the second story. Daryl held his hand out to Willow, telling her to wait while he opened the door slowly. She peeked over his shoulder, noticing an owl perched on the back of an old chair. She would normally admire things like the owl, but she could only think of the pang in her empty stomach.