blessing

SHE WAS WOKEN UP by his hands wrapping around her and squeezing her waist, dragging her across the bed and closer to him. She kept her eyes closed and smiled as his thumb brushed along her stomach and his lips kissed a line from her neck to her shoulder. 

"Mornin'." His voice vibrated against her skin.

"Good morning." She reached behind her and found the back of his head, brushing her fingers through his hair. 

He came back up and kissed her neck before nestling his face against her back. "They're headin' back soon."

She nodded and stretched out her legs under the comforter. "Just a few more minutes."

She frowned when she felt his face and arm slip away from her, the bed shaking a bit as he stood up. She opened her eyes and squinted against the light as she watched him round the bed and find his clothes. 

"Thanks, by the way." He said jokingly as he held up the torn bits and pieces of his shirt.

She laughed as she sat up in the bed, wrapping the comforter around her bare body. "You're eager to get back."

He nodded as he pulled his pants up and let them hang at his hips while he found his belt. "I wanna see our girl."

Our girl. She doesn't think there will ever be a time that she doesn't get butterflies whenever he says it.

"She'll be excited to see you." She licked her lips, staring at him while he dressed. "She's been asking when you'd be coming back."

He slipped on a new shirt after buckling his belt, cuffing and rolling up the sleeves. It looked identical to the black button up she had torn off him the other night, and she could only think about doing it again.

"She still mad at me?" He pushed his hair out of his face, but it fell right back down.

She shook her head and looked down at her fingers, tracing circles and lines against her legs. "It wasn't you she was mad at."

"You?" He questioned with a tilted head.

She let out a heavy breath with a nod. "Practically ignored me for a week when I wouldn't take her here to visit you. She talked to Hershel more than me in that week, I mean... she was pissed."

He sat down next to her in bed, his hand falling to her knee. "You were right to not bring her. This ain't a place for kids. Not then, and not now."

She leaned her head against his shoulder. "I know. I still don't trust any of them."

His arm snuck across her back and yanked her into his lap, her legs on both sides of him, straddling him. "I'll tell her you were the hero that saved me."

She giggled and wrapped her hands around the back of his neck. "Then she'd have to stop being mad at me."

He nodded with a small smile, tucking his hands under the comforter to find her bare back. "I'm done bein' here, away from you both. It's been too long."

"So," she kissed his lips, his cheeks, and trailed a few down the side of his neck, "let's get back home."

He smiled and turned his body, taking her with him and splaying her across the bed on her back. She laughed as he ripped the comforter away, her hands quickly shooting up to cover as much of her bare body as she could. 

"Let's get you dressed." He said with a look of amusement.

"I can do it myself this time." She smiled, her cheeks heating up.

"Nah." He grabbed her underwear and pants first before grabbing her shirt from where it got shoved under the bed. "I like doin' it."

She leaned up on her elbows and watched him slip her legs into her underwear. She wasn't going to argue. She liked it too.