waiting game

THEY SPENT most of the next day mapping out their upcoming trip to Kent Island. According to the scale, it was 50 miles east along a highway they've never ventured down. Route 50 was a straight shot directly into Kent Island, but also directly into DC. They've vaguely outlined a few backroads they could take instead of going through DC, but they'd have to eventually get to that highway to get to the only bridge that would allow them onto the island. 

"The only bridge." Willow huffed out as she circled it in a red pen. "We're gonna need a backup plan if we get cut off."

Ash, Bonnie, Sienna and Sibby all surrounded the desk, taking their own glances down at the map to help.

"What if we went up 301 and came back around?" Bonnie suggested, using the tip of her finger to trace the route. "We'd come out near Newark, then we just trail back down through-"

"Baltimore." Willow said as a sigh when they got to that part on the map. "That's a big city that I don't think we should get remotely close to."

"So what do you suggest?" Ash asked next, bracing his hands on the edge of the wooden desk.

Offering a couple more looks at the map, she really couldn't think of anything except Oceanside.

"Sibby, do you think Oceanside has some extra boats they'd be willing to part with for a while?" 

The young girl shrugged. "The last time I was there, they did. Wouldn't hurt to ask."

Willow nodded and set down the pen. "Rachel should be at the fair. We'll ask then. If we can get a few boats, that'll be our plan B."

They all nodded and stepped away, but Sibby remained. 

"Just a few more days, all right?" Willow tried to comfort her. She could tell she was antsy to go, and those few days would be the longest for her. "We'll get Daryl to come along, too. The more people the better."

Sibby brushed her hair behind her back, straightening up a bit. "What can I do beforehand? You know, to keep myself busy?"

"We can help Ms. Tammy and Mr. Earl." Sienna suggested from her spot on the couch. 

Willow nodded and smiled. Sienna's been trying to keep herself busy, too, while her dad and Henry were still out there. She hardly slept the night before, and Willow woke up to find her talking to Kal and Marco along the wall. She said she was keeping watch, but Willow knew she was really just watching and waiting for their return.

"Check in and see if they need anything for the baby." Willow said as she stood. 

Sibby nodded as Sienna grabbed her hand with a small smile and led her out of the office.

Ash crossed his leg, resting his ankle atop of his knee as he sank further into the couch. "You know I trust your decisions, right sister?"

Willow rolled her head and looked over at him with a playful annoyance. "But you don't trust this one?"

He smirked. "I wouldn't be your brother if I didn't challenge your choices a few times."

"No," she said as she sat across from them, "you wouldn't be."

His smirk dropped, and a stern seriousness overtook his face. "Should we really be making a trip like that with those... masked freaks still out there?"

She crossed her own legs and picked up one of the throw pillows, picking at the tassels along the sides of it. "Those masked freaks made a deal with us to prevent one conflict. We gave them what they wanted- if they really want to start something with us still, then let them. We'll just finish it."