41. Maester

With a labored breath Viserys stepped out of the carriage only to collapse to the ground.

''Fetch the Maester!'' Harrold shouted.

''Get back.'' Lyonel demanded.

''Get Mellos! Get back!'' Harrold demanded.

'Prepare the crucible. We'll need leeches.'' Mellos remarked.

When viserys woke the first thing he saw was avalons beautiful face smiling back at him.

"You gave me quite the scare vis

"You gave me quite the scare vis." Avalon remarked kissing his cheek.

"Oh Avalon," Viserys cooed reaching for her, his little sister always made him feel better. 

"Rhaenyra and Alicent and the children are fine," Avalon added. "What happened?"

"Just dehydrated and tired." Viserys half lied. 

''Rest now, Your Grace. I will bring the leeches.'' Mello said as Viserys lay back exhausted and weak.  

"It is more than that." Avalon corrected. 

''If I may, Grand Maester, I took the liberty of preparing a fresh set of herbal poultices that might be more... effective.'' Maester Orwyle offered.

''That will not be necessary, Orwyle.'' Mellos assured ''The leechings have always brought His Grace relief." He assured as he headed out.

"Is it though?" Avalon questioned back. "Oh honey, you are- maybe something better, those leechings kill you, drain you," Avalon added. 

"The maester knows what he is talking about." Viserys assured. 

"Does he?" Avalon sassed turning her head. "Do you?"

''To help him sleep.'' Orwyle offered the bottle popping the top to Lyonel.

"Thank you, Orwyle." Avalon agreed. "If you have any ideas please bring them to me, I want to try something new for my brother." He nodded eagerly. 

"I will bring you the report." He agreed. 

"Thank you."

"Avalon," Viserys chuckled. "my love." Viserys said as she kissed his clammy forehead.

"Vis, what really happened?" Avalon cooed. "You need some help, let them help you, test new things, try a new and younger maesters approach, whats so wrong with trying?" 

"the seas didn't do me well." Viserys told her.

"Lies." Avalon told him her fingers trailing along his wounds. "Leechings again? Come on those dont work long term."

"Yes love, they help." Viserys agreed.

"It's been years, I remember coming in here before all hell broke loose and you told me it was nothing but you are still doing them." Avalon demanded. "You were sick then and you are very sick now and tell me what the hell is going on now!"

"Avalon love-''

"Don't." Avalon warned. "Don't sugar coat it just give it to me straight, are you dying?"

"Are we all not dying?" Viserys countered.

"VISERYS!" Avalon hissed.

"Its that throne, I keep getting cut, it doesn't heal good." Avalon looked over the little sores on his arms. "The leechings help."

"Viserys I cant lose you." Avalon told him as she leaned gently into him. "You are my big brother..."

"You wont love, I promise." Viserys told her but he felt like death.

"Leechings... they are working but not enough clearly." Avalon told him. "We can adjust your protocol then," Avalon suggested. "Give you some relief." She stood up but Viserys grabbed her hand. "I will be right back, Vis. Right back." She promised kissing him gently. He smiled softly as he watched her go.

''Will I be remembered as a good king, Lyonel?'' Viserys said with a sigh.

''Your Grace?''

''What will they say of me when the histories are written? I have neither fought nor conquered, nor suffered any great defeat.'' Viserys remarked.

''Some might call that good fortune.''

''It hardly makes a good song, does it? To be sung at feasts in a hundred years... five hundred.'' Viserys said pathetically.

''You have carried King Jaehaerys's legacy. And kept the realm strong.'' Lyonel corrected but his answer didn't satisfy Viserys. ''Is it not better to live in peace than to have songs sung after you are dead?''

'Perhaps. But there is a part of me wishes I'd been tested. I often think that in the crucible, I may have been forged a different man.''

'' Many that are tested, only wish to have been spared it. ''

''Another lord might assure me that I would rise like Aegon the Conqueror given the chance.'' Viserys remarked bitterly.

''Your Grace, that is... You're right. You're right... as always." Lyonel told him.

''It is perhaps best not to know.'' Viserys countered drinking the potion.

"Avalon," Rhaenyra declared. 

"Oh hi honey, your father is going to be fine." Avalon remarked. 

"Oh good... I um... did you hear about Daemon?"

"What? Is he back?" Avalon perked up. 

"His wife Rhae Royce is dead."

Avalon shouldnt have been happy about that but a smile curved her face.