56. Undermine

"Yes you are the handsomest little boy in the world!" Avalon declared, Rhaenyra was at a meeting and Avalon was on cutie pie duty. Jace and Luke were getting settled into bed and Avalon was going to read them a story when Harwin knocked. 

"Hello Princess." 

"Ser Harwin!" Avalon declared moving swiftly to him. "Oh, I missed that handsome face." Harwin chuckled. "He's a fine young lad, can you hold him for me?" Harwin nodded taking Joffrey carefully from her.  

''That was a decade ago and he has since left the region undefended. '' Alicent reminded them.

''We have left it undefended. There should've been fortifications built, watchtowers, a fleet of ships, a garrison of soldiers sent to hold our ground.'' Rhaenyra countered.

''We cannot afford it." Alicent corrected ''Our coffers are great, but not infinite. We must consider the cost to our subjects.''

''I must agree.''

''The cost of war is greater.'' Rhaenyra countered ''But we have been lax and the old monster now lifts its head.''

''Let us be finished.'' Alicent demanded

''Yes.'' Viserys agreed with a sigh

''Wait. I wish to speak.'' Rhaenyra declared

''Be seated.'' Viserys agreed softly.

"You did good in training today?" Avalon questioned. 

"I got to say Dracaryus." Jace agreed. 

"Oh thats a fun one." Avalon agreed kissing his forehead. "You will have to come to dragonstone, we will have to much fun flying together. Daemon loves a good race."

"I could race against uncle Daemon?" Jace questioned. 

"Of course." Avalon agreed. "Is Verrax big enough to ride?"

"I havent been able to yet, they say he's not ready... we are not bonded completely, I dont have control over him." Jace admitted. 

"It takes time." Avalon assured. 

"It didnt for you." Jace countered. 

"Well Mouse and I have a special bond." Avalon agreed. "You will get there with Verrax." She assured. 

''I have felt the... strife... between our families of late, my Queen. And for any offense given by mine, I apologize.'' Rhaenyra began as she stared over at Alicent. ''But we are one house. And long before that, we were friends.'' Rhaenyra offered. ''My son Jacaerys will inherit the Iron Throne after me. I propose we betroth him to your daughter, Helaena. Ally ourselves... once and for all.'' Viserys smiled happily but Alicent was not pleased. ''Let them rule together.''

''A most judicious proposition.'' Viserys agreed

''Additionally, if Syrax brings forth another clutch of eggs, your son Aemond will have his choice of them, uh... a symbol of our goodwill.'' Rhaenyra went on. Aemond wanted a dragon more than anything.

''Rhaenyra.'' Alicent said as her breasts started to leak.

''Oh, Seven Hells, um.'' Rhaenyra said sitting down. She knew that Avalon would never have this problem she was always the picture of elegance and grace, not leaking out during council meetings. 

''My dear... a dragon's egg is a handsome gift.'' Viserys agreed

''The King and I thank you for your offer and we will consider it duly.'' Alicent said stiffly. ' 'You must rest now, husband.''

''Yes.'' Viserys agreed as Alicent helped him up

''How sweetly the fox speaks when it's been cornered by the hounds.'' Alicent hissed as they walked