73. Tongue

Viserys was getting his daily treatments as per usual when Avalon came in to check on her brother. Daemon was getting the children ready, the twins were self sufficient and Fiona as well but Amara still sometimes put her clothes on the wrong way.  Birds were chirping in the early morning sunlight as Avalon pushed open the door.

"Good morning, brother." Avalon cooed. 

"Avalon," viserys looked awake, he looked better, Avalon hoped at least. "I want to have supper, Avalon." Viserys remarked. Her smile fell.

'It is the morning, Vis, supper for breaking fast, okay whatever you want.'' Avalon said gently

''Tonight. The whole of my family... are gathered at the Red Keep. I want us...'' Viserys struggled to keep his breath. ''to dine together.'' He groaned as he moved, the pain to much. Otto came in as Avalon moved to Viserys side. 

"Whats wrong? What do you need?" Avalon whimpered holding him up. 

''Bring milk of the poppy.'' Otto instructed. Avalon's head snapped to Otto. 

''No. Just arrange the supper.'' Viserys murmured. 

"Whats wrong with him? Really?" Avalon questioned once Viserys was back to bed. 

"The maesters dont know." Otto admitted. "I'm sorry princess." 

"They can't fix him." Avalon realized. "He's just going to keep getting worse." 

"Seems like it." Otto agreed. "But dont worry, we are doing everything we can to keep him comfortable." Otto added with a smug grin before heading off. "Excuse me have a petition to hear to." 

''Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters.'' Otto remarked sitting proudly on the throne. "The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon." He decreed.

"I dont like this." Avalon murmured. 

"No kidding." Rhaenyra grumbled. 

"I havent even gotten to say hello to Aegon, Aemond... or Helaena. Daeron came by with Wanda last night, such a sweet boy." Avalon added. "But..." she sighed looking across the room. Alicent smiled back at her softly. 

"Do no fraternize with the enemy." Rhaenyra begged. 

''My Queen. My Lord Hand.'' Vaemond said setting forward. ''The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name." Rhaenyra held back the groan as she hated having to defend her claim against Vaemond.

"Viserys would have shut this down already." Daemon remarked with a scoff. Avalon held to Rhaenyras hand their children standing beside them to support their brother. Although Wanda wanted to be by Daeron, he was winking back at her the entire time it seemed. Wanda looked to Zelda and giggled out. Daermon's gaze turned to them and they silenced. 

"Sorry daddy." Wanda agreed softly. 

''I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins." Vaemond went on.

''As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir.'' Rhaenyra spoke up. ''No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition.'' Rhaenyra declared.