Chapter 3

Non Solum

Not Lonely

The morning of the surgery, he was woken by his nurse. His parents were standing together by the far wall, smiling reassuringly at him as he was given anesthesia with a syringe. But it was the sight of his angel sitting comfortably on the foot of his bed that allowed Jungkook to take a deep breath. Then, little by little, he went back to sleep.

When his eyes opened again, it was all over. His mother was brushing his hair with her fingers, his father was smiling down, and then his angel appeared over his head as if he was sitting by his right shoulder; he smiled down at him and vanished.

Jungkook was grateful he'd let him see him, for he was flat on his back. And he later wished they'd left him that way.

Doctor Robert had done as he said. His right ankle was wrapped in a white cast and propped up on a pillow and his right wrist now had black stitches in three different places. But it was his left shin that made him feel like Frankenstein as it now had four metal rods sticking out of his skin.

They let him sleep the dizziness off and was woken up at two in the afternoon for lunch. As he ate, his parents sat on each side of him and had a conversation about famous people who'd had accidents and healed well. A while after he finished, he looked out the window and frowned a bit. Then, he looked at the clock on the other wall.

His angel hadn't appeared.

He tried to control his worry but his noticeable silence drew his parents' attention. They asked him what it was and almost got worried again, but he simply said he was tired, and they believed him. After a while of faking being asleep, they left him for some coffee.

When the door clicked shut, he looked at the clock again. It was seven. The thought of his angel finishing his job and leaving because he was safe, brought him sorrow instead of joy. Losing his miraculous friend and savior was too much on top of everything else. But he breathed so as to not cry and focused on moving his right hand as the doctor said.

Then, out of nowhere, his eyes widened as a rush of excitement flooded him. Laughing at the ceiling in bewilderment, his heartbeat rose as if he were running. His head turned to look at the door. And his angel appeared beneath the clock marking eight o'clock.

His chest rose and fell rapidly beneath the biggest smile he'd ever worn, and Jungkook returned it. The unknown excitement changed into happiness, but then it doubled as if two hearts lived inside his body. Unstoppably, his arms rose up and wide. His angel ran to him and looked so solid that Jungkook readied for the impact. But it didn't come.

It didn't matter, however, when they were both so happy to see each other. His angel placed both hands on the pillow at either side of his head and bent down, leaving what looked to be a kiss on his forehead.

- Why did you take so long? I got worried. - Jungkook whispered. Then, gasped at his own words. - I'm sorry, I shouldn't have–

His angel shook his head hard and fast, making him chuckle. Instead of answering, his angel looked at his right hand now resting on his chest, detailing his stitches. And he grimaced at the sight.

Jungkook laughed.

- I know, right? Looks ugly. - He laughed again and tried turning his hand to show him more, but it shook weakly and he hissed. His angel gasped silently and brought a hand to hover over his. Jungkook nodded and lowered his hand again.

His angel pointed a finger threateningly between his eyes and mouthed the words "Be careful" as clearly as he could. But then again, Jungkook understood without the need for sound.