Chapter 28

Tranquillitas Ante Tempestatem

Calm Before the Storm

As he looked around their campsite, at their makeshift tents and the dry meat they had to tie high up so no animals could steal it, he wondered, as always: Why him?

He'd woken up not so long ago as if seating on Mrs. Smith's vanity chair had been but a dream. He had no other dreams as long as he kept his eyes open while visiting the home. He'd watched Jungkook sleep between them, not as peacefully as he'd hoped, and it made him feel melancholic. He missed his parents. It hadn't been as difficult until he'd killed his first human. But he'd had his friends to help him. These days, however, it felt like the only unconditional love he had in the camp was Luz's.

The others were already in motion, hunting or gathering whatever plants might be alive before spring arrived in over a month. He didn't have any set duties because of his "narcolepsy". That's what Aloisia's been calling it.

If she knew he fell asleep by his own choice, she would've tied him up and sent him back to their homelands. No, Luz wouldn't have let her. And he wouldn't have gone without a fight; he'd promised Jungkook they would meet and that could only come true if he passed all the rites.

But could they? Even then?

Catching a glimpse of Luz over by the river collecting water, he made his way over to him. He hadn't bothered covering the upper part of his body since he would soon be submerging himself in the cold water. The idea was not pleasing, but it was the price to pay for being able to hug Jungkook through his worst.

Would it be true he would die if he stayed with him until the beating of his heart stopped being an echo and instead resided in that flawless chest of his image? Jungkook would never allow him to test that theory.

Grinning, he crouched down next to Luz and crisscrossed his legs right over the pebbles of the river shore. Luz finished collecting water in six canteens they'd made out of leather and two clay jugs. In silence, he sat down next to him, crisscrossing his legs. Unlike him, he was fully clothed.

As he looked down at the narrow river flowing south in front of him, Luz spoke.

- These are new. - He noticed without a change in his tone.

The bruises had long ago ceased to be a reason to panic. And his lack of an answer merely bored them these days.

Good.

- Looks like I'm your assistant for the day. - He grinned and turned to look at him. - We could do something fun. Find the cristal? -

Usually, Luz would go along with whatever he said even if, deep down, he could feel him disagreeing.

Today, however, was going to be a hard day.

Luz kept looking around his torso, his arms, his hands, and his lips, and his eyes were just like his heart: Oozing worry.

- Take the day off. - Luz muttered.

When their eyes met, neither was faking a smile anymore.

- I'm always taking time off. - He argued and stood up lightly as though he couldn't feel any pain. He could. - I'll take a cold bath and be right with you. We could start thinking of clothes to wear in hot weather. - Without looking beside him, he kicked off his boots and began to untie the string around his hips, holding his pants in place.

Slowly, Luz used his hands to help himself stand from the floor. A fight with two foxes left him with a bite on his side and Maniai with more "colorful" furs. Once he was fully naked, Luz had already turned to leave, probably to get everything they needed to make more clothes. His feet were already inside the shallow parts of the cold water, being burned by the cold as he gasped at the pain, when he heard Luz stopping behind him.