Chapter 31

Non piget

No regrets

Jungkook, baby, it's time to wake up. -

His mother's voice broke through his relaxing slumber, making his eyebrows twitch as he came back to consciousness.

She moved inside the room.

- Today, I want you to wear something more cozy. Looks like it's going to be a chilly morning. - She announced, opening his closet and rummaging through. But he turned around, giving his back to her. - Come on, baby. Breakfast is already on the table. Today I made French toast. - She told him excitedly as she left his clothes for the day on the other side of his bed.

Usually, the sound of food and his mother's excitement for him to try any of it would get him off the bed quicker than the threat of not getting any hot water left. But this morning, he felt unrested, his head was already beginning to hurt as was the rest of his body. It felt like he'd run a marathon. Or like he'd fallen off his bike again. Or...

Fuck.

His eyes closed tighter when he remembered; when he felt it. His mother's silence was enough to tell him she'd noticed something was off. His heart began to pick up its pace, trying to escape the inevitable.

His mother's short heels taped the floor gently as she rounded the bed to slowly look over his shoulder. In a panic, Jungkook raised his blanket to hide himself.

He couldn't show her. He had to. But he couldn't.

His mother giggled softly.

- What's the matter, deer? - She walked closer and sat down on the edge of his bed. She turned off the lamp on his nightstand and gently rubbed his shoulder. - Did you stay up late reading last night? Or maybe writing? - Her voice was so gentle, her assumptions so innocent. Jungkook stayed quiet. That stopped her hand. He could feel her sudden tension. - Did something happen at school? - She was worried now. And so was he. - Jungkook. -

Tired. Worried. Physically exhausted, spent, tense, and driven over his limit. He sighed and lowered the blanket, keeping his eyes closed.

His mother gasped and pushed his shoulder, laying him flat on his back. He shut his eyes tightly as her hands held his face, but let him go just as quickly. He felt her indecisive touch on his forehead as she moved his hair and down his neck. Then, she held his hands with shaky fingers and her voice broke.

- ¡Arthur! - She was breathing laboriously, on the verge of a panic attack as she lifted his shirt. A loud thud came from somewhere in the house and all he hoped was that his father hadn't hurt himself in his haste.

Jungkook turned his head away, his eyes already filled with tears as they remained closed tightly.

- Jungkook! Jungkook, talk to me, look at me. - She was crying, begging, holding his face as though fearing he was not there.

Slowly, he opened his eyes. His blurry vision wasn't enough to cover the panic in his mother's face.

- What is it!? What happened!? - His father rushed inside, wearing only his pajama bottoms as his wet hair dripped down his neck and shoulders. When he got to his side, he got on his knees on the floor and carefully moved his hair away from his forehead.

But Jungkook was looking at his mother.

- Are you in pain? - She asked through her anxious panting as gently as she could. He nodded, unable to move much. - Arthur. -