Chapter 19

Nexum

Connection

He looked down at his hands and arms and found all his scars had gone. Looking down at his body, he saw he wore white like his angel sometimes did; a nearly see-through material. But he couldn't feel the fabric against his skin, as though he wore nothing. His naked feet couldn't feel the pebbles or twigs poking his skin. Everything felt soft as though nothing could harm him. Tiredness had left his body and mind altogether. He looked up at the fireplace...

A guy was walking towards the fire. He was tall and strong but not far older than him. His skin was paler -though bruised in some places- than his angel's and his hair was blond and long, reaching his shoulders. He wore a leather, sleeveless shirt and long pants, and boots made of fur, held together by strings. The same type of string went around his forearms, and then another one around his waist, holding knives of stone.

It was like an angel wearing Neanderthal clothes for he was beautiful in body and face yet he wore only animal skin.

The guy was carrying two large trunks in each hand. In the few seconds Jungkook had taken to look at him, he'd put those trunks on each side of the fireplace and then put a long, flat stone over the flames, held by the wood on each side.

Jungkook recognized this. This was the way his angel told him they cooked their meat. And judging by everything his angel had told him about his friend, he was sure he knew this boy's name.

"Luz."

Jungkook heard himself and frowned. He sounded distant.

"Luz!" He tried shouting.

Luz straightened up in alarm and looked around with astonishingly yellow eyes, but missed him.

Jungkook ran closer, feeling too light to move as usual. But the moment he got on Luz's reign of vision, he jumped backward, crouched, took a knife out of his belt, and shouted.

- AUX! AAAAUX! -

Jungkook shook his head, unable to understand him.

"Wake him up! You have to wake him up!"

Almost at once, another boy and a girl jumped out of tents close to the forest edge. They were so well camouflaged that he'd missed them. These two people jumped and ran like animals to their friend's side, frowning in disbelief at him.

- What are you? - The girl with face paint and deep green eyes shouted at him. She accentuated the "r" when she demanded, making her sound like a feline ready to attack.

Jungkook felt small in her presence. But he filled his lungs with air and shouted as hard as he could.

"WAKE HIM UP! WAKE HIM UP!!!"

The first to understand was the new boy, Bronimir, standing behind the other two. He gasped, looked somewhere to their right, and started running. The other two followed the moment they understood. And Jungkook ran behind them, but slower, feeling like a strong gust of wind could take him away at any moment.

When Bronimir opened a tent flap, Jungkook understood where they were all running towards. It'd been hidden by the colors and bushes. And Jungkook heard a scream.

His heart lurched in terror but he couldn't run faster. He could hear them talking loudly, another two girls ran past him and entered the tent, and his breathing started accelerating. Luz ran out of the tent and, just as Jungkook was close enough to look inside, Luz returned, running straight through him like he was truly nothing but an image, carrying a vase made of clay and a small torch lit with fire.