Chapter 14

Exspiravit

Ghost

Jungkook!? - The worried voice of teacher Dave entered his ears and Jungkook tried to lift his head, but he was one second away from throwing up. - No, no, get back. Dorothy and Charles, get the nurse, quick! Jungkook, look at me. - His voice got closer to him and big, gentle hands pushed him back by the shoulders so he could sit on his heels.

Jungkook blinked slowly as he breathed still quickly. He could taste chemicals on his tongue and he looked around himself as best he could. The words of teacher Dave flew over his head as Jungkook stretched out a weak arm to pull an empty bucket towards him and, next second, he was vomiting inside it.

Only the hand rubbing his back kept him from actually suffocating. He'd started crying as soon as the retching didn't let him take a deep enough breath. It was just like being pulled down into the water before the current even let him cough out the liquid he'd swallowed by mistake. Only when the retching stopped was he able to take a deep enough breath that allowed him to sob.

A delicate, gentle hand unlike the one on his back began to clean his mouth with napkins and the bucket he'd been holding was taken from his hands. The tears and the crying and the weakness and dizziness were not letting him open his eyes to see how many grown-ups were taking care of him. All he knew was that someone who felt and smelled like a woman had lifted him in her arms and began to carry him.

He rubbed and rubbed his eyes as the woman walked at a fast pace with many more people walking all around them, but he couldn't get them to stop hurting.

- My eyes... are burning... - He whispered past his silent sobs and gasps.

- Don't rub them. - The woman advised close to his ear. - You were surrounded by chemicals for too long. I'll clean your eyes in a moment, honey, don't worry. -

The nickname made him sob again as he pressed his eyes shut.

- I want my mom. -

- I know, dear. Just give us a moment and I'll call your parents. -

Distantly, Jungkook heard the bell ringing. And then, a man's voice talking from the woman's other shoulder, the one he wasn't resting against.

- Jungkook, I need to know who did this to you. - It was teacher Dave, talking more seriously than ever.

Jungkook shook his head.

- I don't know. -

The woman made a sharp turn and he held on tightly to her even when she had him in a very tight grip. Behind them, he heard the teacher telling the rest to wait outside and then he was left over a tall, hard bed.

- Wait here and don't rub your eyes. - She told him before leaving.

Jungkook hissed at the pain in his eyes, nose, and throat and hated how every time he swallowed he could taste the breakfast he returned and the chemicals he'd been locked with.

- Are you sure you don't know, Jungkook? - Teacher Dave asked again. - If you protect them, they'll only do it again. -

Jungkook felt like sobbing.

- Let me try to... fix the problem by myself, please. - He pleaded in a whisper, breathing fast with anxiety.

Teacher Dave took him by the arm.

- So you do know. - He sounded anxious himself. - Jungkook, you have to tell me. I can help you much faster. -

- If I tell you, you'll get him expelled. - Jungkook hissed through gritted teeth and then his head was lifted by the same woman as before.