Love for the Dead

Voidverse – Original Outertale (2 months after the first contact with Undertale)

Silence reigned throughout the AU, what was once a place filled with laughter and happiness that could only be caused by a Pacifist Route had long ago died out under the weight of his scythe, the last AU on his list.

The favorite universe of the love of his life.

There was no longer anything anchoring him to this dying Multiverse.

Standing on the edge of a cliff with the void, the true void slowly replacing the space below, Reaper couldn't help but feel nostalgic at the thought of finally leaving this multiverse behind, how funny, he had hated the place for years but it was now when the memories wouldn't leave him?

He had spent most of his existence doing his job, putting all his energy into not being noticed by his 'fellow' gods, nothing mattered more to him than his younger brother's happiness.

And for that happiness he kept him far away from the prejudiced glances, the poorly hidden whispers, the only thing he wanted was to protect his brother from the hatred of the other gods.

Today he could only recognize that that was a big mistake, it only made his little brother more susceptible to the false kindness of the other gods when they decided that the two entities of death were too 'dangerous' together.

Papyrus was always a kind soul, it suited him well as the 'Peaceful Death', it was not difficult to take advantage of his nature to make themselves seen as benevolent gods who 'just wanted to be his friends' and Reaper as the 'exaggerated brother who wouldn't let him have the life he deserved.'

It had started small, he tried everything he could to make his brother see the truth of their intentions, screams and tears, pleas and lamentations, nothing worked, they twisted each of his words and actions to make them look false, like simple manipulations to selfishly keep him at his side.

And over time, his brother's love turned into the same disgust that the others had for him, his words no longer held anything but venom disguised as concern, scolding replaced words of encouragement, he was no longer nothing more than a monster at the eyes of the only being he had ever cared for and loved.

So, he threw himself into his work, he even took over his brother's job at some point because he wasn't doing it, only setting foot on Olympus when he was ordered to be there, occasionally allowing himself to be weak and checking on how his brother was doing, whom had happily fallen into the role of 'butler' of Olympus calling it friendship, his opinion of Reaper never really improved and Reaper had long ago stopped seeking to repair their relationship (but oh, how much he wanted it back anyways).

This is what he thought the rest of his existence would be like, alone and abandoned by the only being who should have understood him.

Then, he found him.

Geno.

It wasn't love-at-first-sight, dislike-at-first-sight would have been a better way to call it; the other gods would never shut up about how Reaper was 'born in the void' but he can claim that's an utter lie, because as soon as he entered the Save Screen was the moment, he felt what the true void was.

Only one Soul was there to receive him in the middle of that entire void, a white and red spot in the middle of all the darkness that was the void and the Reaper himself. Geno never seemed like a creature from the void, but he also didn't seem like something Ink would have willingly created, a beautiful middle ground that changed his entire life.

He had been there to kill Geno and let his Soul rejoin the Sans from Aftertale, nothing more, nothing less, the void around him made him nervous, on the other hand, Geno refused to die, Reaper's lack of void made him uneasy now that his Soul had void.