Chapter 1

"Ladies and Gentlemen, dear friends",

I start, inhaling a deep breath and letting it out,

"I am truly delighted to be with you this evening, representing my motherland
India in today's ESMO oncology conference".

"I am Samaira Deshmukh, a surgical oncologist". I introduce myself with a formal smile that I have practiced over years of giving speeches.

I take a look around the vast conference room. Around 400 delegates from various countries are seated here, in Madrid, Spain. For discussing various techniques and advancements in the medical field, to treat cancer.

"There's no doubt that cancer is deadly. It is the second most common cause of death in the world after heart disease", I say.

"Even detected earlier, the cure is difficult..................

I continue for another 10 minutes explaining how India has been adopting innovative methods in treatment of various kinds of cancers.

"Let me conclude my speech by sharing the inspiring words of Martin Luther King Jr,

"If you can't fly, then run.
If you can't run, then walk.
If you can't walk, then crawl.
but by all means, keep moving."

"In the fight against cancer, we must keep moving against all odds with perseverance and hope", I conclude the speech and room erupts with loud noise of applause.

I take a respectful bow,thanking the audience with a smile and get down from the dias, to meet my secretary- turned -bestfriend, Elena giving me a proud smile still clapping

"You rocked the stage girl", she beamed
engulfing me in a bear hug as soon as I reached our assigned seat, among other dignitaries.

I laughed at her enthusiasm, hugging her back. We sat for another two hours
listening to other countries representatives. Many senior doctors and professionals congratulated me on my oratory skills.

"Your dad is on the line", Lena gave her cell to me while walking towards our room.

"Hlo dad", I greeted him.

"Hey, my princess. You were awesome
today, I'm so proud of you my girl", his delightful voice reached me.

"Oh! dad, stop lying,........I heard a distant voice of my brother Hrishikesh
Deshmukh.

"Is my big bro jealous of me, dad?", I asked him smiling slightly at my brother's antics.

"You guys will never grow up", I heard grandpa's exasperated voice.

I heard voices from the other side as everyone in my family were fighting for their turn to speak with me.

I let out a contented laugh. Well.....that is my family for you. The happiest place I call a home.