13.Adapt And Survive

After the second trip to the medical bay in one day, the Bad Batch began walking back to their room. Wrecker and Tech were cleared for battle. But the explosives expert was angry with what happened in the arena.

    "Live rounds? They used live rounds! On us!" Wrecker shouts, throwing his helmet across the room and slamming his fists on the table.

    Sunset sluggishly made her way over to the table, dropping onto the bench and beginning to slowly take her armor off. She was going to shower and then head straight to bed, she had had enough of the day.

    "We were there, Wrecker. We know." Tech responded. He sets his pack against the leg of the table.

    "I tried to warn you about Tarkin." Echo shrugged, looking up at Wrecker.

    "Who's that Imperial snake think he is?" Wrecker seethed.

    Hunter was mad, too. He was quiet about it, but Sunset could tell just by looking at him. They were all frustrated and confused, and very tired.

    "Stow it, already. You got shot. It happens all the time." Crosshair said to Wrecker, giving him a mean look.

    Sunset sighed, resting her head on the table, temporarily giving up on all the pieces of armor covering her body. Why did she have to live a life like this?

    "There's a fundamental difference between taking fire in battle and being used for target practice." Tech argued, actually standing on Wrecker's side instead of arguing against him for once.

    "Exactly! We're not dummy droids."

    "That much we agree on." Admiral Tarkin chimes from the open doorway of the Bad Batch's room. He was being escorted by a few Coruscant Guards. Tarkin waited with a crude look on his face for the soldiers to fix how they were standing.

    Sunset stood up from the bench, standing with her legs together but her feet pointed outwards, her arms straight against her sides.

    Tarkin walked into the room, crossing his arms behind his back. "That was quite an impressive display."

    Hunter's eyes followed the Admiral as he moved further into the room. "Didn't have much choice."

    "Our new empire may have methods which seem a bit unorthodox, but so does this squadron." Tarkin paused, staring at Sunset longer than the others. And then he continued moving before stopping in front of Crosshair. "Both certainly have their merits. Nala Se speaks quite highly of her six enhanced clones. She claims you're more capable than an army."

    Hunter raised an eyebrow. "You have a mission for us, sir?"

    Tarkin started his way back in Hunter's direction. "Indeed. We have tracked a group of insurgents to the Onderon sector. They must be dealt with."

    Echo was unable to hide the hateful look he was giving Tarkin. "What sort of insurgents?"

    "Separatist forces intent on keeping the galaxy at war. You leave first thing tomorrow morning." Tarkin responds. "If you neutralize this grave threat, you will be looked upon most favorably as I assess the needs of the Imperial Army."

    Sunset wasn't sure she wanted to be looked upon most favorably. In fact, the longer she stays here, the more she longs to leave. For good.

    Tarkin left the room and the door closed behind him. Sunset eased up on her stance, rushing over to her storage chest beside her bed, pulling out her towel and taking off for the bathrooms without a single word.