Part 12

Yunlan took the key from Da Qing because his grip was stronger and it was a very stiff old lock. He inserted the key and tried to turn it but it refused to move until he applied more force in his attempts but froze for a second as he thought he heard Wei's voice screaming at him to stop and he couldn't ignore it, he didn't know why, how could he hear Shen Wei's voice, it reminded him of Wei's nightmare, screaming the word, stop, and he couldn't turn the key. He slowly backed away and forbade anyone to go near it before the bomb squad had a look. He asked everyone to exit the house and stand back for safety. His team cast a few strange looks at him but obeyed his orders as they waited for the experts to arrive.

The gas tank was still ablaze but no where near the house so no one considered it a danger, but the wind was rising and the locked room was adjacent to the tank. A sudden gust of wind blew part of the fire too close to the wall and it ignited a small flame, hardly noticeable, but enough to set the grass on fire in the foundations under the room. The massive explosion blew a few of them off their feet landing further away uninjured, except for bumps and bruises, but it could have been much worse. Yunlan's ears were ringing with the noise of the blast and he helped a few officers back on to their feet after the shockwave, and stared at the ferocious fire which had set the whole house ablaze. They had no idea what was in the building to cause such an eruption but the bomb squad might recognise the contents in the ashes and work out why they had it and it's use, it was not his problem any more.

Shen Wei relaxed but his silent tears lasted for a long time as Gelan tried to persuade him to explain, but he wouldn't, so she phoned Yunlan, hoping that she wasn't over re-acting and almost collapsed with relief when she heard his voice, explaining that Wei had seen most of what had happened and was there any way that he could call in on his way home.

"Yes, of course I will, but I'm not sure when. Tell Wei, I'm fine."

Paramedics arrived with the bomb experts and examined anyone who was affected by the blast, but everyone was alright, all their hearing would return to normal soon but they would have the bruises for a couple of days. It was a lucky operation, and everyone went home alive.

Yunlan went straight to the hospital and when he entered the ward, the smell of the blast had permeated his jacket that he had been wearing and Gelan noticed it immediately, asking him what had happened and suggested that he take it off before visiting Wei. As he was removing it, he winced slightly with the bullet graze and also had to explain that to Gelan, confirming what she thought Wei had been watching.

Wei's face was still wet with tears when Yunlan appeared at the doorway in his room, and he glanced over not willing to believe his eyes, until Yunlan started walking towards him and throwing his arms around him when he saw the tear stained face.

"I'm sorry, did I scare you? I'm fine, really, mild graze on my arm, but I'm fine."

Wei hugged him like there was no tomorrow and held on until Yunlan slightly eased himself away, whispering to him.