Part 26

Gelan was waiting with the guards in Shen Wei's room for the arrival of Yunlan knowing that he had been injured slightly and had issued orders to the nurses to keep everyone away from the room to avoid witnesses of Black Robe's arrival but she was worried for both of them. Shen Wei's work was not finished, he still had the lawyer to deal with.

The temperature in the room dropped slightly and all the doors in the ward slammed closed and locked as the clouds gathered to signal the arrival, with rumbles of thunder reverberating throughout the ward, causing what few patients they had, think that it was bad weather on the way.

Gelan watched as the gurney became clearer seeing that Yunlan had been restrained by the kidnappers and was paler than his usual self with the pain lines more evident in his features and she felt tears filling her eyes fighting desperately to hold them back.

"I've immobilised his back just to transport him, so that you could have a look and find out the extent of the damage, I have some things to finish, call me if I'm needed, I will hear you Gelan. Guards with me." and Black Robe left taking the guards away and released the locks on the ward doors.

Gelan approached the old gurney and had a look at Yunlan who smiled at her as she started to undo the straps holding him and he immediately winced with pain causing her to halt what she was doing and sent for some morphine for him, waiting to see when it was taking effect as she sat beside him.

"How long does it take for this drug to work Gelan?"

"It varies with different people, but they usually sound drunk or talk rubbish or both, plus no pain."

"A drug that can make you drunk without alcohol, amazing. I don't drink much anyway."

It was evident that Yunlan was showing the effects of the morphine but it didn't stop him from talking, he was a rambler, and started to tell Gelan about a nightmare he'd had but wouldn't have remembered if it hadn't been for the painkiller.

"Remember Sea World the visit, well I loved it and I think Wei would too, but I had a dream and all the little fishes were eating me, don't know when, think it was here, my sleep in here, I had to fight but they were hungry and they wouldn't stop biting, and I fought and fought, they ate my bones as well, put me right off Sea World and going to the beach, not going there either, Wei looked good on the beach, but Wei looks good anywhere, he likes chocolate," Yunlan laughed a little and Gelan knew that the morphine was working, making it possible for her to remove the straps from the gurney and get help to move Yunlan onto a clean bed for the specialists to examine him.

"Yunlan, the doctors are going to examine your back, there will be no pain involved but could you stop talking for a while and let them work, if you don't, I'll line up all the nurses in the ward to kiss you and then tell Shen Wei." which was enough of a threat to quieten the drunk patient but he sniggered every now and again when he remembered something, which was infectious making his doctors smile as well.