Part 9

The alarm sounded again and Gelan knew without arriving at Wei's room that he was having the same nightmare but she still had to check readouts and his pulse to make sure, and for the fourth night in a row, she sat beside his bed and held his hands to stop him from moving too much. She would need to speak to Yunlan and see if he could convince Wei to talk about what was going on in his dream that caused him to react so strongly.

Later in the morning she watched as Yunlan approached and waited to speak to him privately out of earshot of Shen Wei.

"He's having a violent nightmare every night for the last four nights, the same dream, the same time , he has the same reactions and calls out the same pleas, for whoever or whatever it is, to stop. Is there any way for you to find out what's going on in his head?"

"I didn't realise that it was so bad, I'll see what I can do, but no promises, he can be very stubborn."

"Tell me about it." Gelan knew about Wei's stubborn streak and also knew that there was no changing his mind sometimes. Yunlan greeted Wei with his usual morning kiss noticing that he did look more tired this morning.

"You look tired Wei, did you sleep alright?"

"Yes, not bad." Wei answered but there was no joy behind the words, meaning that he was tired and it showed.

"Maybe Gelan could give you a sleeping pill to help you ..." and Wei cut him off before he finished talking.

"No... No...No." And his hands started to shake ever so slightly but Yunlan saw it and he lowered the safety rail on the side of Wei's bed to sit along side him and cuddle him.

Yunlan sat for a while with his arms around Wei and his legs stretched out along the side of the bed feeling him fall asleep in his arms as Gelan watched from a distance, and quietly entered the room.

"He's afraid to sleep, something is terrifying him making him afraid to sleep, I don't know what it is, but we have to find out." Yunlan whispered as Shen Wei slept, and asked if anything had happened in the ward to make him afraid. Gelan thought about the knife attack but couldn't tell Yunlan while he was holding Wei, otherwise he would have woken him up.

"Can you stay a bit longer and we'll talk?"

"Yes, I can, could you phone a number for me and explain that I'll be a little later today please?" he whispered, and gave Gelan his phone with Lin Jing's number ready to dial. Gelan stepped out of the room and walked to a safe distance before using the phone. Lin Jing was in the rear seat of the posh car when his phone rang.

"Hi boss, if you're wanting the day off, I need to be bribed."

"Hello Lin Jing, this is the nurse from Shen Wei's ward. Zhao Yunlan is going to be a little later today, he needs some extra time and he wanted me to let you know."