Part 2

Zhao Yunlan had never met anyone quite like him before, he was amazed that the rest of the office staff had not noticed how special Shen Wei was and he watched him leave to go home, asking Lin Jing to follow, not because he was a suspect but because he was interested and he wanted to know more about him.

Shen Wei left the office gladly, relieved to get out of all the noise and walked with his eyes down, carefully avoiding everyone in the streets while heading for the only place that gave him some peace in his mind, the bridge. He hadn't seen Lin Jing in the office and as he was behind him, he also wasn't aware of him following either, and he kept to a safe distance so as not to be spotted.

Lin Jing watched Shen Wei as he weaved his way through the pedestrians with his head down avoiding eye contact with everyone and only looking up after he was out in the open and away from the crowds, realising that the route he was taking would only go as far as the bridge and he became worried at his intentions but he still kept his distance.

Shen Wei stood in his usual spot and tried to work out what was wrong. He'd never faced a blank mind before and didn't know if it was a good or a bad thing. Yunlan didn't give him a headache as some people do, so maybe it was something good. The incident at the bank nearly landed him in a tight situation but Zhao Yunlan had let him go, why? Never mind, enjoy the peace and then go home, he closed his eyes and took several deep breaths in, relaxed, and turned to go home, almost colliding with his follower.

Lin Jing was nearly caught but managed to hide as Shen Wei passed him seemingly heading for home this time and he fell into step behind him following him all the way to his house. As he turned the last corner, he watched Shen Wei suddenly run out and grab a young child who had wandered onto the road and brought her back to safety as a large lorry whizzed past just missing her. The mother and some neighbours ran to meet him, and thank him, making a great deal out  of how brave he was and he squirmed to get away from them but gradually slowed down and was staggering as he approached his house, collapsing before he reached his door. Lin Jing ran towards him while phoning Yunlan, telling him that Shen Wei seemed alright, possibly just fainted, so he told Jing to carry him in and he would join him immediately.

Luckily for Shen Wei, his house wasn't far from the police office and Yunlan almost flew there relieving Lin Jing to take over and watch him as he lay unconscious on the couch. Yunlan fetched a glass of water and waited for him to come round.

She Wei moaned as he awoke with a splitting headache, putting his hand up to his forehead and screwing up his face, unaware of Yunlan's presence.

"Would you like some painkillers for your head?" Yunlan asked.

Shen Wei didn't move, he just kept his hand across his eyes as he spoke,

"How long was I out?"

"Only about 15 minutes, what caused it, the fuss with the child?" Yunlan asked.

"Do I need to answer that question or do you have more?" Wei asked.

"No, I think I understand some of it. When did it start or when did you realise what you could do?"

"When I was young and saved my friends from getting hurt but I didn't fully understand until I was a bit older. Even now, I still have questions, but could you please give me some painkillers for my head?"

Yunlan went to the bathroom and searched the cupboard bringing back a couple of tablets for Wei who sat up and swallowed them and waited patiently until he could feel the effects.

"Do you hear noise from everyone, or is it some kind of premonition?" Yunlan asked him, trying to understand a bit more.

"Yes, everyone, but if I don't look their way, I can block it, sometimes its premonition, sometimes its just a feeling, and then there's a puzzle, YOU. I feel nothing from you, respite for me. If there are too many voices, then I pass out."

"I don't know if that's an insult or a compliment," and Yunlan laughed.

"Take it as a compliment."  Shen Wei replied and stared at him which was amazing because he was never able to stare at anyone since he was a young boy, and his smile lit up his whole face.

"Well, I have to go back to work, can I call you if you don't mind helping the police sometime?" Yunlan asked.

"Yes you can call me, no I'm not helping the police, you've already seen what can happen to me, one of these days, I won't wake up, or I'll be injured in some way, the doctors have already warned me of different possibilities."

Yunlan was shocked, he never realised that there could be a penalty for using this extra sense.

"How do you cope knowing that this could happen anytime?"

"You've seen me, the bridge, meditation, walk with my eyes down, and now there's you, respite."

Yunlan now understood what he meant when he called him respite, he smiled at him and waved as he left his house but there was sadness behind the smile, and he cared.