Part 20

Lin Jing had resumed his pacing, unable to stay seated any longer while a nurse watched, keeping him company. He became aware of the noise in the corridor as the trolley entered the ward surrounded by medical staff and he moved towards the doorway to follow but was stopped by a gentle hand, and she explained to him.

"Let them settle Yunlan in his bed first and link him to the monitors, when they are finished, I'll take you to see him and you can stay for as long as you want, but let them work first." and the nurse managed to calm Lin Jing who sat down, took a deep breath in and waited.

Gelan watched as the various technicians set up the monitors, connecting them to Yunlan as he slept unaware of the hive of activity that was going on all around him and had been since he was picked up in the ambulance. She was glad to see him unconscious because it meant that he felt no pain which was going to be difficult for him once he started to come out of his sleep, and this worried her. She checked all the display screens which told her that he was as good as he could be, in the circumstances and she signalled the nurse to allow Lin Jing in to sit with him.

Jing hurried to Yunlan's room but froze the moment he saw all the screens that monitored his condition, causing his steps to slow down the closer he came to the bed. A chair had been placed at the side for him to sit down and he lowered himself just as his knees became weak and he stared, afraid to touch anything. Tears gathered in his eyes as he sat silently crying while a nurse fetched him some tissues and another hot drink. The same young nurse stayed with him as she had previously while everyone else left the room.

Yunlan was dreaming about Wei and they were on holiday on a beach lying in the sun and enjoying the comfort of the heat on their skin. Wei offered to get some cold drinks and left for a minute just as the tide was coming in but too fast to be normal, and Yunlan sat up to watch it. Small fish with razor sharp teeth were washed ashore in the waves coming straight to Yunlan's legs and started biting him, but no matter what he did they wouldn't stop and the pain of the bites intensified as they drew blood and were sinking their teeth into any part of him they could reach while he continuously screamed and tried to shake them off, hearing his bones snapping, but they moved up his body and started on his arms and all he could do was pray to die faster as he felt what it was like to be eaten alive.

The first alarm to sound shook Lin Jing out of his daze and he backed away from the bed as a flurry of people hastily entered the room, checking his vitals to see where the problem was, unable to find the cause or silence the noise when the second alarm sounded causing more confusion as another system in his body began to shut down. Yunlan started thrashing and trying to move with obvious signs of pain in his face unaware of disconnecting the leads to the monitors which all began to register zero and then he stopped...

Gelan instantly stepped past the staff members and pulled the wires away clearing a space for her to work and she felt for a pulse, but there wasn't one, and she screamed at him.