Chapter 6

"Can I take you somewhere else today?" Hawk asked her one morning.

"You're asking permission? That's new."

He rolled his eyes. He must be under the impression that they had reached some sort of truce, in spite of Wren's indecisiveness, because none of her sarcasm or sharp words seemed to bother him anymore.

"Or we could do exactly the same thing we've done every other day. I didn't know you wanted to live your entire life within twenty paces of your birthplace, like a squirrel."

"I didn't say no!" She retorted, hands on hips. "And this isn't my birthplace, don't forget. Where exactly did you want to take me?"

He gestured towards the cave's mouth "Why don't you say yes and find out?"

"You're confusing the way I rely on you with trust. You have a history of taking me places I don't want to be."

"It's somewhere you'll like, I promise. It's just that it will take a little longer to fly there than the clifftop."

That was worrying. Wren still hated flying.

"You're not going to get tired? If it's farther away, maybe you won't be able to carry me that long."

"Fine!" He declared, milking the drama. "I'll take you to your usual normal place where you won't have to have a single original thought, and then you can come back here and sit on a pile of hay all afternoon. I'm sorry I asked."

"Ugh! You're just as impossible as the boys I grew up with. I'll go! Excuse me for having some reasonable concerns."

Hawk seemed very near smiling as he lifted her up and turned to jump out over the trees. Wren hadn't seen him actually smile since he had laughed once that first day, but occasionally the ghost of one would begin at the corners of his mouth.That distracted her for a moment, until the wind started to whip through her hair and she had to hide her face on his shoulder.

The time flying was longer than usual, and when they landed Hawk didn't set her on her feet immediately.

"Am I really like the boys you grew up with?" He asked.

Wren wasn't listening. She was completely distracted by their surroundings.

Everywhere she looked was water. Hawk stood on one of several large rocks that rose like islands out of - a lake? The sea? How had water like this been so nearby Wren's whole life, without her ever hearing of it? The place they were in was a sort of cove, with steep rock walls nearly surrounding them. Through an opening she could see the water stretch out to a horizon line, sparkling in the sun.

"Oh, put me down. What is this place?" She whispered delightedly.

He paused, still looking at her, and then lowered her feet to the ground and let her step away. She crouched at the rock's edge and looked into the calm water.

"I never knew there was anything like this nearby!" She exclaimed

"So you are like a squirrel?"

"Oh hush. Don't ruin my fun. I bet I can jump from here to that other rock!"

She could make the jump, but stumbled in the process. Today was shaping into one of the days she didn't despise Hawk. She smiled and glanced back at him, willing for the moment to share her good mood. He was standing still, hands in pockets, and looking at her with the wrong sort of expression on his face. She was probably being too nice to him.

"Stop that." She commanded. "We're not friends now just because I don't hate the place you carried me off to this time. I'm still hoping to go home again someday, you know."