Chapter 9

(Part 2)

Wren didn't hold a lot of hope that Hawk would be able to get a book to bring her. She had no idea how he managed to pilfer so much from the village as it was, and a book was very different from a loaf of bread. Her old neighbours might shrug off the loss of some food, and blame it on bad luck or greedy children, but a book was valuable.

Somehow, though, he returned to the cave one day soon with one in his hand. He tossed the food he'd also taken to the side and held it out to her proudly.

"You found one!"

Wren was becoming just as sure footed on the cave's bumpy ground as he was, and without any extra balancing help from the wings. She was at his side in a moment, taking the book into her hands. It was small with a blue cover, and vaguely familiar. She turned over the first page and felt a wave of memories wash over her.

She knew this book, had held it before and read it many times. She knew who it belonged to, and where they had kept it above their fireplace - when it wasn't being lent out. Her sister had always been generous with her belongings, even irreplaceable ones like this.

"How did you get this? Did you know whose book this is?"

It was making her face feel hot, for some reason. Her mind had been yanked back to the way it had been. Anise's house, the smell of her cooking and the children's laughter. Wren had gone there often to study at her kitchen table or help with some project, and had intended to return the favour when she had her own home. What was her sister doing now? Was her house still full of warmth and a strangely peaceful chaos? Was life going on without Wren, just the same as before?

"One of the children left it on the front step for a minute. Are you angry? I can take it back."

"Which of the children? No, wait, don't tell me."

Wren struggled to get it together. She was pretty sure she wasn't angry, she just had forgotten how nearby the village really still was. Her home and everything she loved was just barely out of sight, ever so slightly beyond her reach.

"This is a good one." She said, trying to distract herself. "It's full of stories. It's one of the first books I ever read."

"I'm sorry." His eyes were fixed on her face.

"For what?"

"I just am."

"Sucks to be you, I guess." She turned away abruptly "I'll read it later, okay? Let's eat now."

***