Scars of Strength & Fear

Mumbo's Perspective-

"Oh, so you're Mumbo!" Scar's mother said, hugging me tightly.

I chuckled, "Yep!"

"Thank you for taking care of Scar." She said, letting go of me.

"Oh, it's not a problem. Thank you for raising him so well."

She smiled and looked on the verge of tears, "I did my best."

I smiled back and Scar took me up to his room.

"Sorry about that." He said as we entered.

"No, it's okay."

I sat down and then thought.

"So, is 'Scar' like your nickname? I always thought it was, but your mother used it just now. Or is it like a preferred name or something?"

Scar looked embarrassed, "Uh- no, it's my name."

"Like your name on your birth certificate?"

Scar shook his head.

"Then...what is it?"

Scar bit his lip, and I realized I was probably entering a touchy area.

"Sorry, you don't have to answer if you don't want to."

Scar smiled.

"Thanks, I would prefer that."

I nodded.

"So how was meeting Martyn's parents yesterday?" I asked.

"Oh, I didn't go with Scott."

"What? Who did?"

"Rick."

"Oh...poor Jimmy."

"I know. But I don't think Scott likes Rick. Honestly, it's really confusing."

"How so?"

"Scott said that he still loved Martyn, but Martyn's dead because of...yeah. And he likes Jimmy, but he feels like he's betraying Martyn. And he also thinks that Martyn killed himself because of him."

My eyes widened, "Oh no."

"Yeah. And we can't tell him about...you know, so it's just a mess."

"What did you do?"

"Well...I drew a purple eye and he's super curious now. I want to tell him as much as we can without crossing the line, you know?"

"Scar! That might've been the wrong move."

"Well what else was I supposed to do? My friend is fricking depressed and thinks his ex killed themselves because of him. Was I just supposed to nod and smile and laugh awkwardly?!"

I sighed, "Sorry, Scar, I didn't mean it. But...well does Grian know about this?"

Scar shook his head, "I don't want to worry him, he's got enough going on."

"Well we have to tell him. This is his business. Martyn risked his life for Grian."

"...what do you think would've happened if Martyn didn't do that?"

"Grian would've died."

"But in a way...he already did, didn't he? I mean, he tells us about these glitches he had, and they sound horrible."