CHAPTER ELEVEN: PROUD SLUTS & SADISTIC MOTHERS

"He said what?"

I smile and go through the stack of files in front of me. I love my job but the admin sometimes sucks so much. Why are people constantly breaking their bones?

Bentley bounces on the edge of his seat next to me. "Thandiwe Langa! I will not be ignored."

I shrug and turn to him. I was telling him how my date with Grayson went and he has been eating up every single detail I disclose. It has been three days since then and I have not stopped thinking about that hot and heavy kiss at the beach. For a moment, we forgot that we were in public. We got lost in our own bubble.

I loved it. I loved every minute of it.

"I can't believe you didn't sleep with him. I would have."

"Everyone knows you would have." I deadpan.

He playfully nudges me, "Hey! No slutshaming. That's our rule."

"You can't be ashamed if you're a proud slut. And you my friend, wear that badge with honor."

He grins, "Damn right I do. I can't believe you didn't do it though." he sighs dreamily, "That man reeks of sexual pleasure."

"Don't I know it sister."

Yes, the man turns my panties into a mess but, I don't want to go there with him...yet. I have a strict no-sex rule when the relationship is still in the early stages. I've already broken so many rules because of my feelings for this man.

"We should go on a double date."

I look up from my patient file and look at Ben. "What?"

"Double date with Rhys and Grayson." he nods. I see a twinkle in his eyes and I know that he is already planning the date in his mind. "It will be so much fun. A date with our boyfriends."

"He's not my boyfriend."

Ben rolls his eyes, "Not yet." He closes the file and holds my hands, his best puppy-eyed face on display. A face that is hard to say 'no' to.

"Please." he drags out the word. The man knows I find it very difficult to deny him.

A double date does sound like fun though. I'll dress up (which I love to do), and have a good time with my friends (which is also something I love doing) and it will be a fun night (with Grayson). 

I sigh defeated, and I give in, "Okay, fine." Ben grins, "But, I am gonna talk to Gray about it first."

He nods, his smile widening, "Yay! I love you." he pulls me in for a hug. I relish his warmth and smile to myself.

"I know, and I love you too."

We break apart a moment later and he leaves me to go do his rounds while I continue with the paperwork pilling up on the desk in front of me.

***

There are a lot of emotions that you deal with when working in the healthcare system. As a nurse, I have lost count of how many people I have brought comfort to when they lose a loved one, or when they receive bad news like a late cancer diagnosis.

There are also good emotions, like when someone is healed and finally get to go home. The celebrated birth of a child.

Happy emotions are easy to accept and deal with. Everyone loves a happy time.

The worst of the negative emotions is grief. Chaotic grief at that. The gut-wrenching cries when people go experience the loss of a loved one. A close friend, a sibling, a parent, losing your child.