Chapter 14: Greetings

"Jie!!" 

Jiang Wanyin rushed over to his sisters side before giving her the biggest hug he's ever given anyone. 

"I missed you so much." Lan Xichen swore he could see tears form on the corners of Jiang Chengs eyes. He was awkwardly shifting his feet in a corner as Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng hugged. 

"I missed you too A-Cheng." 

But he had to admit their reunion was very sweet and sort of pleasing to watch. Lan Xichen knew it had been a while since the two had seen each other. He let the two have their moment before walking over to Jin Zixuan who was sitting on the couch, reading a book. 

"Woah. Didn't know you read books." Lan Xichen commented making Jin Zixuan look up at him dryly but didn't say anything. 

"Aow. I'm getting a cold shoulder now?" Lan Huan settled himself in the sofa and Jin Zixuan set down his book. 

"What are you doing here?" He asked. 

"To visit Yanli. Thought you'd figure it out but guess not." 

Jin Zixuan glared. Lan Xichen knew Jin Zixuan since they were children. He was a bit older than him but didn't matter. Jiang Yanli was always like a little sister to him and he was very protective of her. But the stupid peacock was always jealous of everyone who went near Jiang Yanli. At times he didn't even know why Jiang Yanli even liked him. 

"Xichen!" Jiang Yanli greeted Lan Xichen and gave him a curt hug. He swore he could feel the jealousy emitting from Jin Zixuan next to him. 

Today was undeniably the best day in Jiang Cheng's life. When his siter had first announced that she was pregnant a few weeks ago everyone was happy. I'm going to be an uncle was the first thought that Jiang Cheng had and he was overjoyed. He couldn't wait to meet the baby. Jin Zixuan and Jiang Yanli had already thought about and chosen the baby name. Jin Rulan. It was only later that Jiang Cheng found out, Wei Wuxian was the only who gave the idea for the name. He was partially upset that he wasn't the one to do it but his sister seemed very happy with the name so he didn't make much of a fuss. 

"How's work going?" Jiang Yanli asked as she took a seat besides her husband who immediately traced his hands around her waist making Jiang Cheng irk. 

"Fine. MingJue wouldn't leave me alone about the proposal that A-Yao gave me but everythings going smoothly." Jiang Yanli chuckled. 

There it is. A-Yao. Jiang Cheng could feel the jealousy fuel within him but he kept his composure. The "adults" were talking and kids were not meant to join in. But in reality he was only 3 or 2 years younger than the others in the room. 

"A-Cheng got a job downtown. He seems to quite like it too." Lan Xichen said and Jiang Chengs head shot up. 

"Part-time job." He corrected and looked down at his lap while fiddling with his fingers. 

"Oh. The bar?" His sister asked and Jiang Cheng was startled. 

"How? I don't--" 

"A-Xian told me. He was very enthusiastic about it too." 

Jiang Cheng was dumbfounded. Of course. It was ALWAYS his brother. "That idiot really needs to keep to himself." He muttered under his breath making both his crush and sister chuckle. 

"A-Xian only meant well A-Cheng." 

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes. "That idiot never means well." 

----------

"So A-cheng--you and Xichen came together?" Jiang Yanli questioned him as she sat comfortably in her bed, holding a pillow to her chest. Jiang Cheng who was sitting criss cross right across from her immediately turned red. 

"I wanted to visit you and everyone was busy and Huan-Ge coincidentally was staying at our house and he offered me a ride." Jiang Cheng was good at making up lies...but his sister never fell for them. 

Jiang Yanli chuckled and shook her head. Her brother had told her about his crush on Lan Xichen a while ago. She was surprised but also not. She had noticed how his brother acts around Lan Xichen, always shy, and blushed 24/7. It was a sore sight to see. She never meddled in others business but when it came to her brothers there was always something you could do. It was her and Lan Xichen that set up the blind date between Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji...and look at them now---they're literally inseparable. But Jiang Wanyin and Lan Xichen's situation was different. Jiang Cheng was yet to finish college while Lan Xichen had graduated years ago. 

She was skeptical as to her mothers opinion on this. A part of her knew she would be satisfied but another was unsure of that feeling. 

"A-Cheng." Jiang Yanli called out to her brother who now looked at her with expectant eyes. 

"Would--would you like to be the first person to hold Jin Ling when he's born?" Her eyes softened as she watched her brother blink and process the thought. 

"Huh!?" Jiang Cheng gasped out in shock. The first?! His mother would never even trust him with holding a baby but this was his sister asking and surely he wouldn't be able to deny it. 

"Really?" 

"Hm." 

jiang Wanyin paused. 

"but what about Wei Wuxian?" Jiang Yanli smiled. Despite Jiang Chengs outright hatred towards his brother, she knew there was some sort of affection that both of them held for each other. 

"A-Xian got to name the baby. He said you should do it." 

Jiang Cheng started to tear up. The thought of holding his nephew in his hands was just--euphoric.

"So will you?" 

"I will Jie." Jiang Cheng smiled and gave his sister a second hug that day.