Chapter 24: Anger, then Acceptance.

*The rally is moving to the Court of Fontaine. The students and young adults march and continue to shout protest chants against the archon. People are also chanting "Free Childe!". Zhongli is stunned at the revelation that Childe was wrongfully arrested upon hearing these chants. He sees Neuvillette and Furina sneaking behind the crowd trying to ambush the rally.*

Zhongli: You may come out now. I see you both.

Furina: UGH! You ruined my ambush!

Zhongli: Just like you ruined these people's lives trying to protect them from the prophecy?

Furina: They are fools! You're a fool because you're from Liyue! I don't think you know any better!

Zhongli: Frankly, my dear, I do not give a damn about what I know. All I want is to know where you took the 11th Fatui Harbinger.

Furina: He's in jail.

Zhongli: *glares* I need more than that. News has stated that he was wrongfully declared guilty in the case of serial disappearances. Tell me, what have you done to investigate his condition?

Furina: I- I've been looking at the Oratrice.

Neuvillette: *sighs* Lady Furina, please, let me handle this. You can head back to your quarters.

*Furina pouts and walks away.*

Zhongli: So you must be the Iudex of Fontaine. You presided over the trial of Childe. What happened to him? You found the real perpetrator and you put him in jail-

Neuvillette: He died in the Fountain of Lucine.

Zhongli: Okay, but then Childe should've been innocent.

Neuvillette: Yes, that is correct. Which is why I have sent the Traveler and Paimon to investigate. They could not find him.

Zhongli: Do you realize what you have done, O Hydro Dragon Sovereign?! YOU ALL RELIED ON A BALANCING SCALE TO DETERMINE THE VERDICT! YOU SHOULD'VE INTERVENED!

Neuvillette: I would've if it weren't for the rules made by the previous Hydro Archon! The Oratrice delivers the final verdict even after all the evidence is presented. I knew he wasn't guilty yet the Oratrice's word is the law!

Zhongli: Dear Celestia..

Neuvillette: I'm sorry. We will find the truth, regardless of the Oratrice's verdict. Now then, are you here for that rally?

*silence*

Neuvillette: If that is the case, you do run the risk of being put on trial.

Zhongli: I want to support these students and find Childe. His arrest was unwarranted and he needs to be free. I don't care what happens to me. I want the love of my life back!

Neuvillette: It is fruitless to protest. It won't bring Childe back-

Zhongli: NO! I DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND MY WOES! THAT WAS MY LOVE! TELL ME, HAS HE DROWNED IN THE WATERS?!

Neuvillette: Are you asking me about the primordial sea? If so, I am not sure. Snezhnayans can't dissolve in the primordial sea. For all I know, he could've drowned and his body may have been washed up somewhere. I'm sorry but that is the best explanation I can give you now.

Zhongli: So, HE'S DEAD?!

*Zhongli begins to rage.*

Neuvillette: I don't know that for sure. Have a little hope will you-

Zhongli: Childe...Childe...No...please, you need to live. You told me, "Watch, I will conquer the world."

Neuvillette: Monsieur, I-