plant-shopping date

Third Person POV:
Word Count: 1,023
Spooktober Day Nine: Plant
a/n: Enjoy another mid-content day of spooktober

"What about this one," Peter says, grabbing a small cactus off the shelf.

M.J. turned back to Peter and gave the plant a once over before shaking her head. "It looks like it's going to die tomorrow," she deadpanned, grabbing the plant from Peter's hand and putting it back on the shelf.

Sighing, Peter followed M.J. a few steps forward, looking at all the different plants surrounding them. "I'm starting to think that you don't like cactuses."

"Cacti, actually," M.J. corrected. She turned the corner, going down an isle filled with aloe plants and various other plants. "I actually have nothing against them. I just don't think that's what I'm in the mood for today," she explained as her eyes scanned the shelves.

How exactly did Peter and M.J. wind up in a small plant store in the middle of New York? Well, M.J. had told Peter a few weeks ago that she wanted to take Peter to a plant shop. Peter just shrugged his shoulders and said he wouldn't mind that. M.J. took that very seriously and planned to have their plant-shopping date later that same week.

That didn't go exactly as planned. The day they were supposed to go on their plant-shopping date, Peter got hurt. Badly. When Peter didn't show up on time, M.J. wasn't even worried that Peter had stood her up. She knew him and she knew that he would never do that. So, he called May. Her heart shattered when she heard May sobbing over the phone, saying something about emergency surgery and how things were looking bad.

A few hours later, M.J. was cooped up in a waiting room next to Tony Stark, Happy Hogan, Ned, May, and the Pepper Potts. If it hadn't been for the fact that her boyfriend was back in the O.R. fighting for his life, she would have swooned. They all waited together, some sending silent prayers while others sended silent threats of violence toward the universe.

In the end, Peter turned out fine. The surgery went well and he was going to be back to normal in a week or two. Everyone was relieved. But, that also meant that, during Peter's recovery, they were all suffocating. And, when Peter explained to M.J. how overwhelmed he was with everyone surrounding him and making him feel everything but normal, she offered to take him on the plant-shopping date.

That's what they were doing now, as they continued to browse up and down the isles of the little plant store. M.J. couldn't remember how she found this store. She just remembered walking into it one day with her mom and falling in love with the place. She actually worked here for a few months, but wound up having to quit due to decathlon. The owner still loved her and would occasionally have her cover a shift here or there if need be. Either way, M.J. loved this place. She hoped Peter would, too.

Peter had paused, causing M.J. to pause too. They looked at the shelf that Peter's eyes were on, looking at, yet another, cactus. "This one seems like a Fredrickson," is all he said as he grabbed the cactus off the shelf.

"No, you can't do that," M.J. said. "You can't name a plant before you buy it."

Peter gave M.J. a confused look. "Why not?"

"Because then you'll buy it," she explained, staring at Peter with confused eyes. She knew that Peter was clueless, but he wasn't that clueless.

"Okay, well that's fine. I was going to buy it anyway," he says with a shrug.

The second that Peter said that, M.J. took the plant from his hands without damaging it. She ignored Peter calling out after her as she walked up to the counter. "Hey, Darline."

Darline looked up and smiled brightly as M.J. "Oh my goodness! It's been forever since I've seen you! How are you," Darline asked as she started to ring up M.J.

By now, Peter had caught up to the counter and was confused when he arrived. "I've been good. School's still a pain in my ass, but nothing I can't handle." She gave a rare smile as she nodded toward Peter. "This is Peter, by the way. He's my-"

"OOO, is he the boyfriend," Darline asked, her eyes lighting up. She smiled at Peter and held her hand out. "I'm Darline. M.J. used to work here!"

Peter extended his hand with a smile. "It's nice to meet you," he said politely.

M.J. handed Darline $20.00. "He's a loser, but he's a pretty cool loser."

Darline shook her head and pushed the $20.00 back toward M.J. "No. Absolutely not. You are not paying for this-" she started.

"Woah, wait. I wanted to pay," Peter says, starting to grab his wallet.

M.J. shook her head. "Peter, you are not allowed to pay for something that was literally my idea," she said, watching as Peter hesitated with the wallet in his hands. She turned to Darline and just smiled. "You know I'll just hide the money the next time I come in, so just take it," M.J. says.

Sighing, Darline took the $20.00. "You've got yourself a good one," she said.

No one knew whether she was talking about the plant, to M.J., or to Peter. But, both Peter and M.J. spoke up at the same time.

"I know."

The couple smiled at each other before Darline pushed the plant they were buying forward. "Now, you two go give this little guy a good home," she said.

"Oh, we will. Fredrickson is going to have the best home. I'll put him right beside my Iron Man figurine," Peter says, grabbing the cactus gently off the counter.

As the two walked out the door, M.J. just glared at Peter. "Who said anything about him staying at your house? What if I want him at my house?"

"I picked him out-" Peter defended.

"I paid for him-" M.J. countered.

That's it for this chapter! Remember to drink some water, eat something, take medicine (if you have to), and rest today. You did a good job and I am proud of you :)
Till next time
- Storm