The guessing game

Third Person POV
Word Count: 1,507
Spooktober Day Thirteen: Silver Tongue

"Hey, kid," Tony announced as he walked into the lab. Peter looked up from the web shooters he was fixing with wide eyes. "Come on. We're going somewhere."

Tony watched as the kid stood up from the lab station and started walking toward him. "Who's we," Peter asked.

"Me, you and good 'ol Rhodey," Tony said, walking out of the lab with Peter on his tail. Rhodey was standing in the hallway, glancing up from his phone after hearing his name.

Rhodey leaned up against the wall. "We ready to go," he asked as he turned his phone off, putting it into his pocket.

Tony nodded and the three started walking down the hall. Tony and Rhodey were leading the way and Peter was following closely behind, nearly stepping on Tony's shoe every so many steps.

"Where are we going," Peter asked.

"'Wouldn't you like to know, weather boy,'" Tony quoted.

There was silence from the back. Rhodey gave Tony a confused look before Peter's response came back. "'Where are your parents?'"

Without missing a beat, Tony replied again. "Dead."

"Oh, cool. Mine too," Peter said with a shrug.

Rhodey, who was more confused now than he was at the beginning, cleared his throat uncomfortably. Dark humor was funny when he understood what was going on. "Uh, we're going-"

"Ah. Nuh uh. We are not telling this kid anything," Tony explained. "Last time I told him where we were going, he got too excited and almost passed out." He shakes his head.

There was a sigh from Peter. "Does that mean I can guess?"

"Guess all you want, you won't get it," Tony muttered. They all made a left turn down the hallway, making their way toward the elevators so they could get to the garage.

Again, there was silence from the back. It only lasted for a few seconds, though. "Are we going to space," Peter asked excitedly.

"Uh, no." Tony gave Rhodey a look and rolled his eyes. "Firstly, it's cold up there and you can't thermoregulate. Secondly, we have no reason to go to space at the moment, so why would we go up there," he asked, shooting a look back at Peter.

Peter shrugged. "I dunno. It's interesting," he offered. He was silent for a few moments again before he had another guess. "Oh my gosh! Are you taking me to the Lego store so I can get the new Star Wars Lego set," he asked, more excitement in his tone than there was with the last guess.

Rhodey laughed this time. "Kid, I don't think that-" he started, but stopped when he saw a serious look on Tony's face. "No. You'd do that for him," he asked.

"Of course I would. But, no, Peter. That's not what we're doing," he explained. "Next guess."

"Wait wait wait," Rhodey said, not letting Peter get the chance to voice his next guess if he had one. "I want to reel back to this. Aren't those sets, like, hundreds of dollars," Rhodey said.

"Yeah! Mr. Stark buys me them intermediately thinking that I won't notice," Peter explains. The kid steps on Tony's shoe and mutters a quick apology as Tony fixes his shoe. "A new set came out a few days ago and he was talking to me about them earlier, so I was quick to assume," Peter shrugged.

Shaking his head, Rhodey walked ahead of the two. "You've got a silver tongue."

A confused tongue crosses Peter's face. "I've got a- what? I don't think I've eaten anything silver," Peter says.