neighbors

Ashley

I almost tripped on the curtain as I peeked through a little gap in the middle. There was a boy, softly crying into his hands. He had dark brown messy hair, and a bit of puke on his shirt. He had needles in his arms, I counted three in all. 

I didn't see anyone else on his side so I walked up to the door with only socks on and tried to see if I could hear anyone coming. No footsteps. I checked the time on the clock. 4:38 p.m.. I slowly walked across the room, through the curtain and to the boy.

"Psst. Hey." I said, sitting on the edge of his bed.

He looked up and I immediately recognized him.It was the boy who poked me awake. He was the one who was playing around with his pal. His face flushed and he whimpered as he clenched his stomach. I felt a deep hole in my gut as I walked back to my side of the room, anger and embarrassment washing over my body.

"Wai-" I could hear him loudly cough through the curtain.

I couldn't hold it back anymore. I didn't want to release my anger on him, so instead I kicked the wall about 50 times. My foot throbbed when I laid back on my bed. I heard him groan on the other side of the curtain. Tears ran down my cheeks as I took of my bloody sock. My big toe dripped blood, the pain shooting up my foot. I whimpered as I pressed on it with some tissue. 

The sight of blood kind of calmed me, like if the red blood that was dripping down my foot was a waterfall of relief. I stared at my toe as blood came out the big cut I had on it.

I pressed new tissue on it as a nurse came in. I saw her come through the curtain with the boy, showing him the bathroom. The bathroom had to be on my side. She left to get me something to clean up my toe with and the boy entered the bathroom. He was in there for a long time, and I could hear puking noises. A part of my wanted to ask if he was okay, but then I remembered my bleeding toe. The nurse finished putting bandages on my toe when she asked why it was bleeding.

"Uh-um-" I stuttered. "I kicked the wall. There was a- um- big- uh- spider on it."

"You could have left it alone." She said as she left the room.

"Sure." I muttered under my breath.

"There wasn't really a spider on the wall was there?" The boy asked with a raspy voice as he walked out the bathroom.