CHAPTER TWENTY THREE (edited)

PRESENT TIME...

3rd person P.O.V.

"Don't blame him, I made him promise not to tell you" Carmilla mumbles as she looks at the tear-stricken Genevieve. She knew she'd be heartbroken, but part of her wished that she would understand, hoping she wouldn't hate her forever.

Genevieve wipes her eyes, a cold, dark blanket of guilt wrapping around her. "Why did you wait this long to tell me?" she asks, her heart broken, shattered. Everything suddenly makes sense, and Carmilla's actions now seem explained. Carmilla has turned into the person she hates most. Her father.

"I didn't want you to hate him," Carmilla says, for the first time in a while, Genevieve believed her. Carmilla was being selfless, and Genevieve could feel that. "He was a hero in your eyes" Carmilla voices, quivering, her eyes holding so much pain.

Genevieve looks over at her torn sister, not knowing what to say in response. How does she fix this? Her mind replays all the times Carmilla has cried. She can finally understand her suffering. She couldn't imagine what it must feel like to protect someone's evil doing, only to save their image for another, no matter how much they didn't deserve it. "You can have the house" Genevieve blurts out. "I don't need it"

Carmilla sighs, "I don't want the house" she responds as she shifts in her stance, never wanting to take that away from her sister.

Genevieve takes a step forward towards her sister. "I don't want it either"

"No, I hate that house. I have never walked in there since, and I never will," Carmilla states coldly. Everything she hates is in that house, the old Carmilla is in that house. The weak Carmilla, the Carmilla that would hide in her room all day, staying out of everyone's way. The sweet Carmilla, yearning for any form of acceptance, yearning for love. And the Carmilla who had to kill her own father to survive. She doesn't want to relive those moments again. "He left it for you, Genevieve"

"But why?" Genevieve rebukes.

"He didn't want me to get anything. He wanted you to have it all. That's why he tried to kill me," Carmilla explains as she lifts her head up, trying to stop her tears from escaping. After all, Genevieve was his favorite. "Besides, I have enough already," she smiles. "Everything went to me once he died, the only thing that didn't is the house" Carmilla clarifies. "I'll get it back, I promise you."

A little knock breaks our bonding moment. 'I really need to get my own place' Carmilla thinks to herself. "Come in" she yells out.

"Jane is calling for you-" Cole says as he enters the room, halting at the scene in front of him. "What's going on?"

Genevieve runs over to Cole, embracing him tightly. "I hate you for not telling me, but thank you" her voice is muffled by his chest. Cole looks at Genevieve, confused as he glances over at Carmilla, searching for an answer.

"I told her" Carmilla vocalizes, watching her sister sob into his chest. An empty void fills her heart, making her wonder what a hug like that feels like. A hug full of love and compassion. Oh, how she craves for an embrace like that.

"Oh.." Cole looks down at Genevieve as he places his palm on her head, stroking her hair in an attempt to calm her cries. "I'm sorry, baby," he whispers.

Genevieve's whimpers quiet down as she lifts her head up, looking up at Cole. "Thank you for being there" she voices. Her body slowly lets go of him as she turns to Carmilla. "I'm sorry for doubting you" Her voice is laced with guilt.

Carmilla's eyes blur as she tries to focus on her sister. Her words warms her. The feeling of someone else apologizing -a genuine apology- felt stranger, but so comforting. "It's okay, I'm sorry too," Carmilla smiles.

"Don't ever apologize!" she voices in between remaining sniffles. "Now go see Jane" Genevieve orders gently.

Genevieves words bring her back to the original reason Cole was here. "Yeah, let's talk soon," Carmilla smiles as she grabs her packet of cigarettes on the table. Carmilla speeds out of the room, leaving the emotional couple in her office.

Jane P.O.V.

I quickly get up once I hear the key turning. A red-faced Carmilla meets my eyes, her eyes bloodshot. What's happened? "Hey, whats wro-" my question gets interrupted by her pulling me into an embrace. I flinch at her sudden movement. Her grip is so tight around me, like she's never been hugged before. I carefully return the hug, wrapping my arms around her shoulders. I can hear her heart racing, her tears dampening the back of my shirt. My body loosens up, realizing she just needs me to hold her. I close my eyes, her arms wrapping me in a blanket of tenderness.

"I'm sorry, you don't deserve this, '' she whispers. Am I hallucinating? Where did Carmilla go? Who is this crying woman before me? She loosens her grip on me as she looks down at me. I can't look at her. Somehow her apologizing means she recognizes what she's done. "Hey, look at me" she requests, but it didn't feel like one.

"Don't say sorry, that makes it worse" I utter, my head remaining lowered.

Carmilla places her hand under my chin, forcing me to look at her. Her expression puzzles me, like she's battling with herself on how to react to what I've said. "No, I am. I'm sorry" she repeats, her eyebrows furrowed, desperate for me to believe her.

I force out a smile. I can't handle her temper right now. "Thank you for apologizing" I answered. She grins in victory as she pulls me in, kissing me. I give in after a brief moment, her lips so tender.

"Come, I have something to show you," Carmilla says once she separates our lips. A mischievous smile plastered on her face. What is she up to? What the fuck is going on? Why is she so switchy?

"Uh, okay" I reply with caution. I don't know what to expect. This woman is too unpredictable, might as well get used to it and go along. All I can do is hope that it's not something I'll regret.

"Don't worry, it's nothing bad" she reassures with a little chuckle, as if I was crazy for being reluctant.