CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE (edited)

Carmilla P.O.V.

Shutting Jane in the room, I glared at the ghostly Cole, his hands clamped together into a fist. "What is it?" I urge as I step towards him. "You're making me nervous, Cole," I persisted.

"It's Marshal" he whispers. I quickly grab his arm, pulling him away from the room as I breath in harshly.

"Shh!" I silence. Jane can't hear his name. "What about Marshal?" I interrogate as we walk away.

"He's here, Carmilla," he voices in a panic, his eyes sharp as he seems to try to find the words. A sinking hole in my stomach forms as I run down the corridors, the world around me silent, my footsteps being the only thing pulling me to reality. I don't know what has happened but I know it can't be good, I can feel it in the whistling air around me, warning me of what's coming around the corner. I can feel my heart pounding in my head as I approach the living room. There he is, laying on the ground. His once warm toned skin is colder than the snow. A dried open slash across his neck. Geneveive's body is cowering over him as she strokes his cold head. I stood still for a moment, my mind not being able to process the scene in front of me, I felt like I couldn't breath, like his breath was taken along with mine. Death doesn't scare me, but this does.

"How?" I blurted out in a stutter, my word escaping in a rasp. How is he here? Who did this?

"We found him outside, he was laying in the snow" Genevieve responds, a tremor evident in her voice. "There was a note," she mutters. A note? So this is an assassination.

I build the courage to step over to his core, his eyes open, glaring at the ceiling. I pick up the note that is stuffed in his stiff palm.

An eye for an eye,

Christian

My eyes blink as I reread the note, complete stark silence around me before I toss the paper across the room. "FUCK!" I shout out in a scream, my voice echoing against the walls keeping me from breathing. How did he know? I feel the rage building up in my chest. For the first time in my life, this feels like the end. I promised her. She'll never forgive me. What should I do? A frustrated tear falls down my cheek as I look at him. I feel like there's a rock the size of Asia on my chest, forbidding me from breathing. My chest feels heavy. "We need to move him," I ordered exasperatedly, finding my voice after a while. "He can't be here, he needs to be as far away from here as possible." my voice's battling so much anger. Anger at Christian. Anger at Marshal for letting himself get caught. Anger at myself. This is my fault, I killed him. Jane can't see this. She'd be mortified.

I regain my emotions and stand up, aiming my attention at the people around me. "You heard me!" I exclaimed. The men around me quickly shuffle over to the dead Marshal, picking up his lifeless body. I shut my eyes as they dragged him out. I can't see him like this.

"Everyone, get ready. We've got to pay someone a visit" I say calmly, concealing the roller coaster going on in my lungs. This is going to end now. He's not getting away with this. I turn my stance towards my office, storming away in a hurry. Pushing my door open, I head straight to my cabinet. I need something, something to numb all that's just happened. Grabbing the first bottle I find, I open it and let the liquid slither down my throat. It feels horrible. I don't feel numb. I just feel more enraged.

Leaving the bottle dry, I throw it across the room. A loud bang follows as it collides with the other cabinet in the room. Inhaling deeply, I let out a deafening scream. I'm tired. I'm angry. I don't deserve her, not like this. I grab the gun sitting on the table and make my way back out of my office. With my mind only focused on her, I walked down the stairs leading to the basement.

"Carmilla, is this necessary?" Genevieve asks as she spots me entering the room filled with weapons.

"Don't ask stupid questions" I simply say as I pick up the black Glock 21C, reloading it. Glancing over at the knives in front of me, I pick out the silver one.

"Is there no other way?" Genevieve tries to reason. Sometimes, I wonder how we are related. What a stupid question to ask. Obviously, this was the only way. It was like the letter said. An eye for an eye. If that was what he wanted, he was going to get it. Except, I'll be taking both eyes, one for Marshal, and one for Jane

"You know the answer to that, Genevieve. You can stay behind if you're scared" I mock. I'm in no mood to deal with her morals right now. "Whoever disagrees with my plan can stay behind." I state as I look around the room. "No one?" I repeat. "Okay then, let's go! '' I voice, placing my choice of weapons in my jacket. I give one last glance at my sister, her head cowered at my question, pondering over what seemed like the right thing to do. "Are you coming?" I inquired.

Genevieve looks away for a moment, "Yeah, I'm in" she concludes.

***

Silence fills around me as we drive off, a gut feeling in my stomach telling me this is different. Is it because I'm scared, or is it because Jane has made me want to live? But it's fine. I'm not scared to die. I'm only scared that she will. I glance out of the window, seeing the cars lined up behind me. This is personal now. I'm not leaving till one of us is dead. What will she think? I can't ever tell her. Maybe, if I keep her inside forever, she'll never know. Who am I kidding? She'll never forgive you, Carmilla. I shut my eyes, there's too many things swirling in my mind, from her face to his, back to Christian and then all the way back to Jane. I lean my head back, listening to the music on the radio. It's not letting me think. "Turn the fucking music off" I scold in frustration. This is just a job to them, they get to go home to their wives and husbands after this. For me, this is my life, everything I've built has led up to this moment. I open my window for some fresh air, the wind fighting against the speed of the car. The chilly air, drying the tears glossing my eyes. I close my window as I see we are approaching the house. I let out a suffocated sigh as I pulled my phone out.

ME:

[GET SOME SLEEP, I'LL BE HOME SOON. I LOVE Y...]

No Carmilla, not like this.

ME:

[GET SOME SLEEP, I'LL BE HOME SOON]

'I love you' is too much. It could scare her. It scares me. I quickly put my phone back into my pocket as the car slowed down. "Were here, ma'am", the woman in front states. I nod as I open the car door, the night sky lighting up the lights of the black cars parking nearby. I glance over at my sister leaving her car, waiting for her to get closer before I speak up.

"Whatever happens tonight, I thank the universe it made you, my sister" I confess as she faces me.

"Don't say that, Carmilla. You have Jane waiting for you at home, remember?" she says confidently, although her tone is telling me otherwise. She's right, I do have someone waiting at home now. Jane is waiting. If I don't come home tonight, how would she feel? If I die...

No, no. That's crazy. I've come here to kill Christian, and I will.