CHAPTER FOUR

Carmilla pov

"Bring me bandages and some water" I ordered Genevieve as I speed walked to my room, headset on making this right. 'Did I take it too far?' I ask myself as her unconscious body lays in my arms, droplets of blood following my trail. I shake my thoughts away as I place her at the edge of the bed, waiting for Genevieve to meet me in the room.

"Is this enough-? Oh she's really bleeding Carmilla" Genevieve voices, walking over to the foot of the bed before tucking Jane's hair back.

"Put the bandages on the bed and get out" I assert bluntly as I walk over to my window not being able to face what I've done. "She deserved this! She made me do it " I justify with anger in my voice, mainly to attempt to relieve the horrible pain in my chest. "This is what happens when you come here, would you have preferred me to have killed her on the side of the road?" I started questioning my sister as she had her attention trained on Jane, little whispers escaping her as she tries to wake the blonde. "She'll die soon enough anyway" I mumble.

"Just bandage her up, and put her in a clean room" Genevieve suggests. My brows furrow as I turn around, unsure if I heard her correctly, only to find her placing her arm out to pass me the clean cloth.

"You think I'm going to do it?" I sneer out in disbelief. "When have I ever bandaged someone up?" I ask, throwing the bandages onto the bed. Why is she asking me this? Can she read my mind? "If you want, you can bandage her up, or she can do it herself when she wakes up" I spit before sparing one quick glance at Jane before I pick my jacket up and walk out of my bedroom, heading to my office.

A vibration pulls me off my tread, urging me to see the messages popping up on my phone. With a grunt, I call her back as I change directions for the entrance hall. "What do you want? I told you to spend the night at the apartment because I was busy." I scolded as I opened the front door to see her standing at the bottom of the stairs, her phone against her ear like mine.

"I missed you" she admitted softly before lowering the phone down to her waist, her hair blowing wildly in the evening breeze.

"Kayla-"

"I know, I know, I'm sorry, I couldn't help it, I was so bored there, there's nothing to do except stare out of the window and drink your collections." she interrupted briskly as she stepped forward.

"I would have let you lay in the snow all night for interrupting me like this and for taking my car and alcohol, but I have too many things to do before the morning" I scoff before taking a harsh breath, composing myself from taking it all out on her. "Now pass me the keys" I demand with my arm out, palm open.

Her words slid right back to her lungs as she bit her lip in regret before pulling out the car keys out of the large coat pocket, slowly reaching her arm out to pass them to me. "I'm sorry baby, I'll go back there" she mumbled in disappointment.

Shaking my head slightly, I take the keys and place them beside my phone in my pocket. "You're here now, just go to my room, I'll drive you back there in the morning" I sighed. I could see her flushed lips raise in a little smile before growing into a wide grin as she leaned in for a kiss, her wish quickly granted as I lifted her up, warming her body with mine. "I didn't mean that pretty, I'm just tired" I apologized as I turned to walk back inside, in desperate need of heated hands.

"Come sleep with me, just do what you have to do in the morning" she suggested as her legs tightened around my waist, allowing me to let go to enter the door code. That option seemed so tempting yet I couldn't get my mind off my current problem, lying unconscious in my house.

"No baby, what I have to do can't wait till the morning" I mumble as I walk to the stairs, my hand on her rear as we make our way to my room before opening it and stepping in swiftly. "I'll be back in no time, all you need to do is stay here and sleep" I elucidated before laying Kayla down on the bed gently, delicately planting a kiss on her forehead.

"Mhm, kay." she mumbled, the early morning fatigue quickly setting in. Waiting for a moment, I watched her slowly fade into sleep as I took a few steps back, my mind conflicted in what to make of my new found dilemmas.

Slamming the door of my office as I walk in, I toss my pinging phone and pistol across the messy wooden desk as I take a harsh breath, rethinking everything that has transpired tonight. I can't tell if keeping Jane alive was luck or karma, yet part of me felt as though tonight was meant to happen. There's just something about her, maybe it was her will to live, or her sharp eyes that made me feel transparent, allowing her to catch me off guard. I never go with Genevieve and Cole to take care of a problem, but what that man did aggravated me. Now I'm stuck with a problem that I know won't be easy to solve. A million things are swirling in my head yet it keeps coming back to Jane, distracting me from being able to think as I always do.

In need of a focused mind, I step towards my cabinet and grab the clean glass sitting on the tray, glistening as it fills with my favorite whiskey. I place my hand over the record player beside me, replacing the tune and turning it on as I shut my eyes, taking in the soft tunes mixed with the singer's voice. Ready to get back to work, I walk back to my desk before sitting down slowly, taking in the last moment before another sleepless night of paperwork and mathematical equations.

Screening out all the paperwork on my desk, I lit up my cigarette, desperate to calm the storm in my mind. I exhale my thoughts away as my eyes fall upon a folder resting on top of the unfinished pile of paperwork I need to get to. JANE LAWSON. 'That was quick' I thought to myself as I scan through to read before I see a name. Marshal. "That name sounds familiar to me" I thought out loud as my mind cogs for a connection.

I speed out of my chair, heading over to my file cabinet before tugging the lettered draws. " M.. Mar... Marshal. That's it" I pulled out his folder briskly, completely ignoring the neighboring folders falling to the ground. Where do I know that name from? I furrow my brows in confusion. I scroll through a few pages, and there it is. His face. That's when it clicked. Marshal Lawson, Christian Black's secretary.

A loud thud is heard as the folder hits the desk in frustration. "Fuck!" I shout out, rubbing my palm on my forehead. A knock is heard on my door, "WHAT?" I yell out in anger. The door gently opens as Cole reveals his face, white flags raising through his sympathetic eyes.

"What's going on?" he asks in concern as he shuts the door behind him. I motion the folder on my desk as he walks over to my desk in confusion. "Marshal? Why do you have his folder out?" he inquires as he scans the pages.

"Janes dad, he's fucking Jane's dad Cole!" I yell. "I don't need this stress right now, we've just got civil with each other" I rant before ashing my cigarette into the astray harshly, digging my frustration into the tray. Civil, who am I kidding, we're not civil, but Christian doesn't need to know that. A small grin crawls onto Cole's face as a little idea dawns on him. "Why are you smiling?" I question in irritation. I'm in no mood for a comedy spectacle.

"This could work for you" he murmurs as he walks towards me, scheming seeping in his tone. "This is the perfect way to get what you need," Cole smirks as he pulls a cigarette out of my box, lighting it aflame as I furrow my brows, aiming to understand where he's going with this.  "Use him as your inside man" he proposes meekly, fumes leaving his lips. My eyebrow raises in interest as it all suddenly begins to click in my mind.

"Get Jane ready, she's got an interesting day ahead" I blurted out as I grabbed my phone and pistol, rapidly making my way to the door. Cole nods as he makes his way to the door, letting me through first before shutting the door after him.