Chapter Three

Another few weeks had passed before he saw her again. This time, Dazai was out for lunch with Kunikida, Ranpo, and Yosano when he saw her enter the restaurant. Watching intently as she unwrapped the maroon scarf she wore around her neck to protect her from the cold, Dazai found himself waving her over to their table. Catching his eye, Y/n raised her eyebrows before saying something to the hostess and making her way over.

"You again." she said coldly, ignoring the confused glances the table's other three occupants were giving her as her steely gaze fixed itself on Dazai.

"Who is this woman?" Ranpo asked, a hint of defensiveness to his voice that everyone caught.

A waitress came over with an extra chair and Y/n sat down, pulling herself closer to the table.

"This is Y/n. She an acquaintance of mine." Dazai responded and Y/n let out a humorless laugh.

"Acquaintances now, are we?"

Kunikida looked at Dazai, skepticism evident in his expression.

"I met her through my old job." was the only explanation the brown haired man gave.

"Does she still work there?" Yosano asked hesitantly.

Dazai turned to Y/n who sighed and shook her head.

"Nope."

"Y/n is also an ability user." Dazai said suddenly and the faintest flash of surprise made its way into her eyes at his words, "I think she should come work with us."

"Really?" Kunikida asked, pulling out his notebook and opening it to a fresh page.

"What sort of game are you playing at?" Y/n leaned forward onto the table, searching for any tell as to what the motivation was behind Dazai's sudden claim.

He shrugged, leaning back in his chair in satisfaction.

"You're out a job and we're always looking for more people."

Straightening herself in her chair, she turned to Kunikida.

"You're far too trusting." was all she said to the blond man.

"Tell us about your ability." Dazai interrupted and Y/n's glare came to rest on him once more.

"Fine." she relented, crossing her arms across her chest and leaning back in her chair, "I will play your little game of information, mister 'no longer human.'"

A satisfied little smile fell onto her as she saw Dazai's shock.

"I know things about you and yet, you know barley anything at all about me." she teased, the smile growing wider and more dangerous, "But, I'll play your little game. My ability is called rot. It does exactly what you think it would and no, I wont join your Agency. So you can stop trying to carry out whatever this perverse little scheme is you're so content on seeing through."

Y/n pointed at Dazai as she said the word 'you' before turning her gaze to Kunikida.

"And you, Kunikida, ... yes, I know your name. You can cease your worry knowing that I am not affiliated with your organization nor any other for that matter. If you would excuse me."

Gracefully, she stood from the table and made her way out of the restaurant.

"You know the strangest people, Dazai." Ranpo said, his voice unconcerned as he took a bite of his meal.

Dazai didn't respond as he saw another familiar face come through the restaurant's door.

"The Port Mafia's rabid dog," he mused quietly to himself as he watched Akutagawa exchange a few words with the hostess before leaving once more, "What part do you play in all this."