Chapter Twenty One

When Dazai came by the next morning to pick Y/n up for work, he was alarmed to find the door to her apartment already open. Not just unlocked either, wide open. All the windows were as well and as he entered the space, gun drawn, he could hear the faint voice of someone singing. It was coming from the kitchen, along with the sounds of running water and clinking china.

"Legends say I fell so fast I lost my soul. Oh my melancholic days," the voice sang.

He carefully crept towards the kitchen.

"I've had enough! I've called it off!" it continued.

Gun first, as he'd been trained, he entered the kitchen. His defenses all fell to the ground when he saw Y/n, standing at the sink doing the dishes and singing along to a song playing from her phone.

"Hey." she called over her shoulder.

He looked around, spotting the dish she must've broken the night before off to the side of the sink.

"I'm giving up I'm throwing in my hat I, can't take another lifeless little chat I'm, moving up into a cloud into my fantasy! And, no boys gonna be so smart as to try and pierce my porcelain heart, no boys gonna kill the dreamer in me!" she continued to sing, back still to him, "No boys gonna kill the dreamer in me."

"A love song." he noted as she placed the last dish to the side of the sink, allowing it to dry with the others.

Y/n shrugged, wiping her hands on a towel as she turned to face him.

"I like her voice."

"A love song, none the less. Not something I would have expected from you."

"Right hands are human too."

"So you've been in love before?" he asked.

Y/n faltered, rag halfway back down onto the counter.

"No." she said at last, letting it fall from her hand, "I don't think so. Have you?"

"Yes."

"Lucky girl." she teased.

"Unlucky boy." Dazai corrected, "You were right, I was chaos hungry."

"Chuuya?" she questioned, crossing her arms as she leaned back against the counter, watching Dazai who still stood in the doorway.

He didn't answer.

"How interesting." she said softly, more to herself than to him, "Is that why you don't want me contacting him?"

"If I'm chaos hungry, you appear god-starved."

She laughed.

"You think that he's the one who is truly chaos hungry, you think he craves unstable ground."

"I think he cares about you." Dazai corrected, making his way further into the kitchen.

A slower song than the one before had begun playing once the old one had ended. Dazai stopped a foot away from Y/n, looking down at her. Y/n hummed softly in thought.

"You don't care that he cares about me, you're worried I care about him."

The lack of response from Dazai was the only confirmation she needed.

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it." she sighed at last, "I'm not going to betray the Agency."

Dazai stepped closer, placing his hands on the counter Y/n leaned against. He caged her in.

"Why are all your doors and windows open?" he asked, "It's freezing in here."

"Wanted to air the place out." she shrugged, seemingly unperturbed by the position she found herself in, "I read somewhere in a book once that it promotes new beginnings, lets the old souls out."