Chapter Eighteen

A few days later and a falsely endangered life saved, and Y/n was officially the newest member of the Armed Detective Agency. She stayed quiet and to herself most of the time, finishing the paperwork she had been assigned in her corner desk without much of a word to anyone. The Agency members, save for Rampo, Dazai, and Fukuzawa, didn't know her past. Dazai had told them it had been tough, so they let her do what she needed to do in order to feel more comfortable in the new environment. They didn't let the downturned invitations to dinners and lunches get to them, they continued on with their lives.

Dazai, on the other hand, was not particularly pleased with her behavior.

"You know," Dazai began, sidling up to her desk one day about a week and a half after officially joining, "if you don't start interacting more with everyone, you'll never be sent on a mission."

"Good." she replied sharply, not bothering to look up from the documents spilled across the desk before her.

"We might have to fire you, if that's the case."

"Even better."

Dazai sighed, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Y/n?"

She hummed in response.

"You're going to have dinner with me tonight, once we get off."

"And why would I be doing that?"

"Because I said so."

"And why should I listen to you?"

"Because I intrigue you, you said so yourself."

"You don't intrigue me any more."

"Y/n."

It was a warning shot and they both knew it.

"Fine." her voice cold as she finally looked up at him, "I'll have dinner with you, nothing fancy. Right after work. You get two hours."

"I can work with that."

-----

According to her stipulations, Y/n and Dazai found themselves seated at a free table in some cheap and cheerful establishment.

"You are orphic." Dazai stated and Y/n let the word hang in the air for a moment.

"I don't know what that means."

"Incomprehensible to the ordinary eye."

"And I guess this is the part where you tell me you do not have ordinary eyes?"

Dazai laughed.

"You're supposed to be dead. Instead, you were captured. Why?"

Y/n shrugged, pushing her empty plate away from her and leaning back in her chair.

"They couldn't figure out how to kill me, I kept coming back."

"Like mold. Have you thought of a new name for your ability yet?"

"I was thinking about calling her Persephone, she's all about life and death after all."

"So your ability is a 'she' now."

"Why did you bring me here, Dazai." her voice was cold and her tone even.

"I've known Chuuya for a long time"

"I know." she cut him off.

Dazai raised his eyebrows and Y/n couldn't tell if he was surprised by her answer, or simply annoyed at her interruption.

"I'll behave. Continue." she nodded, deciding on an answer.

"What exactly did he tell you about us?"

His question told Y/n that she had chosen wrong. The same, curious feeling she'd felt when they'd first run into one another in the clinic returned to the back of her mind.