29. PANCHI

"You seem happy today" Sid asked as we entered the rehearsal hall. Since the fest starts on Wednesday we hardly have any time left. So we decided we'll practice the last time today and make any changes if required. Tomorrow is Sunday and then we were scheduled for dress trials. "You know today dad dropped me and also offered me to take his car since mine had to go to the service centre" I told him everything like a kid telling a story.

I never told anyone about my relationship with my dad but Sid only knows the highlights. I never got into any details. "Wow P that's great. I'm glad you two are getting along" he said with the same excitement. Then I told him about Saroj maami and Kavya and that I'll be crashing at his place tonight. Obviously he was more than happy to welcome. We chatted for five minutes before everyone came and the practice started.

After practicing for about three hours Jasmine finally gave us a break. She wants us to practice till evening but Sid and I are planning to leave early. We managed to escape from canteen. "Bhai is on his way he'll pick us up" Sid told me while texting. Vihang had his trial match so he couldn't come for rehearsals with me. I suddenly remembered the text Vihang sent me this morning about some gift. I completely forgot about it in all the excitement.

"P have you decided what you'll wear today" Sid asked me in the car. I noticed that Vihang was watching me from the front mirror. He averted his gaze as soon as our eyes met. "I have a new dress but I didn't get the chance to open it yet" I said looking at Vihang because I know he must be expecting me to react to whatever he did. After reaching home I thanked Vihang for the ride. After learning about my car he insisted on driving me to the party so I didn't argue much.

Saroj maami opened the door when I rang the bell and started questioning me about coming home so early. I told her about the party and my night out. I left the details since I already had dad's approval. "Party at a muslim friend" she repeated my words with some alterations of her own. I took a deep breath to calm my anger before answering her. I told her that dad already knows and he's given me permission. She couldn't argue with so she muttered something and returned to her room.

It took me three hours to curl my hair and do my makeup after my skin and hair care. I had one complete hour to do a photo shoot. Kavya came in my room to spend some with me which I'm sure was maami's idea. She sent Kavya to spy on me. "Didi you look so beautiful. Will you teach me all this" she said staring at me. I thanked her. She clicked my pictures and I have to agree she's a good photographer.

Vihang was half hour late and I started getting hungry so I grabbed an apple to eat. I made sure to stay hydrated since there'll be a lot of alcohol at the party. I was cutting the apple when the knife cut my finger. "Ouch" I shouted in pain when maami came out of her house. She bandaged me and kept scolding me alongside. "You kids are always in a hurry" she said when my phone rang. It was Vihang so I thanked maami for her help and ran out grabbing my bag.