52. VIHANG

"Whenever you are ready" I held Panchi's hand. Anyone could tell she was nervous. She opened her eyes and met my gaze, nodding. When we went inside a bunch of people greeted us. A woman welcomed Panchi with a bouquet of flowers, while some of the old employees expressed their condolences.

I never left Panchi's hand, which she squeezed a little too tightly. But I didn't let it affect me. I'd take a bullet for my little sparrow, a little hand pain is nothing. Gopal uncle took us to a conference room for some meeting. A few people were already seated around the table, some of whom Panchi already knew.

"But she is still in college" said a middle aged bald man. It was the third time he interrupted, and the third time Panchi grabbed my hand from under the table. Some investors were concerned that Panchi may not be able to take care of the company, which her dad created from scratch. Gopal uncle managed to convince some of the investors that Panchi is capable enough to handle the company, but some egoistic assholes can't accept the fact that a female can overpower them.

After listening to everyone's concern, Panchi stood up from her chair. After clearing her throat and collecting her thoughts, she spoke "Firstly, I'd like to thank all of you for making time and coming here" she said. Taking a deep breath, she continued "Before coming up, I remembered the first time I came here with dad" I could see tears forming in her eyes. I have never felt so helpless before. I wanted to scream and tell everyone no one can take her father's place except her.

In a few seconds, she composed herself and continued talking about her dad's memory. A couple of people seemed to listen and relate. "I know you all don't think I can do this, but I'm only asking for one year. After that, if you still feel I don't belong here, I'll support whatever decision you make" she finished speaking and waited for some reaction.

All the men glanced at each other in approval. An elderly man, then stood up to declare their decision. After that Panchi folded her hands, thanking everyone. Once all the room emptied, only Panchi and I were left, she jumped and hugged me. "Congratulations, sweetheart. I'm so proud of you" I said kissing her. Tears again polled up in her eyes.

Before I could say anything else Gopal uncle knocked and entered the room. Panchi straightened her clothes and greeted him. He congratulated her and started talking about all the business strategies. Panchi interrupted him midsentence and paused. I knew she was going to talk to him about her mother. "Uncle I want you to be honest with me" she said, to which he nodded and patiently listened to her.

She asked if what her mother said was true. When uncle confirmed, she lost balance but I caught her. She gathered herself quickly. Gopal uncle told us that the deal is only verbal yet. "Uncle, as the CEO of this company, my first decision is to annul any deals made with that woman" she said. I was a little turned on by the authoritative tone in which she said that.

Post finishing all the important paperwork we headed to my home. Sid had texted the both of us that Maa wants to meet. "Stop" Panchi said suddenly. I panicked and parked the car at the side. I asked her if she was ok. She pointed towards the temple ahead. I sighed eyeing her. We went to the temple and prayed together. The Pandit ji thought we were a married couple and even gave us his blessings.

We finally reached home at lunch time. I asked Panchi to go in while I parked the car, but she was too nervous to go alone. This girl never stops to amaze me. She got those investors to agree to her terms but won't meet my family without me, even though she knows them so well. I chuckled to myself and opened the gate for her.

"Wait right here" Maa stopped us at the gate itself. I was confused at her behaviour. She watched me with an angry expression. I held Panchi's hand because I thought Maa was going to scold or something. But to my surprise she smiled when Sid carried the puja thali in his hands.

I rolled my eyes at her dramatics. She welcomed Panchi with a hug. I have always loved the bond between them. Panchi's eyes welled up to my family's actions. "Thank you so much aunt-" Sid cut her in between. "Aunty? Call her mummy ji. You are going to be her bahu soon" Sid teased Panchi.

Before I could say something and stop my idiot brother from troubling my girlfriend, Maa playfully hit Sid on his arm. "Panchi will always be my daughter, and she can call me by whatever name she likes" Maa said cupping Panchi's face, then she took both our hands in hers, placing a gentle kiss. We both hugged her, to which of course Sid joined.

"Can I call you Ammu?" Panchi asked Maa after giving me a quick look. Maa's eyes formed a pool of tears. She looked at me, nodding her head in response to Panchi's question. Something warm settled in my chest.

Emotions were starting to show in my eyes as well but before anyone could see I controlled myself. I hugged Panchi as tight as I could, kissing the back of her head. "Thank you" I whispered near her ear. She didn't reply immediately. "You don't thank the people you love. And I love you Vihang Ahuja" "I love you too, my little sparrow"