024 knocking on past's door

024knocking on past's door

024
knocking on past's door

The wooden box bounced in the truck bed as Topper sped down the empty road

The wooden box bounced in the truck bed as Topper sped down the empty road. The group switched seats so that now, Bianca, JJ, and Cleo sat in the backseat of the truck, behind Topper and Sarah while Kiara and Pope held onto the cross.

"Shit," Topper cursed, glancing over his shoulder at the wreckage. "They definitely called it in."

"Top, Top!" JJ reached forward between the front seats. "Turn here! Turn-"

"Don't- okay, don't touch the driver, man!" Topper pulled away.

"JJ, sit back," Bianca warned, her arms crossed over her chest. It was the first thing she spoke to the boy since their argument, other than tense silences and heated glares.

JJ ignored her, however, and continued, "Topper, just turn around. Turn around!"

Sarah slapped his hand away, "Stop! He said don't touch the driver!"

JJ reared his head back, "I'm trying—"

"It's a liability," Topper interrupted.

"Then go faster!" Cleo bit back.

"If I go faster, that's going to draw attention, you know?" Topper waved his arms around.

"Yeah, I feel like that ship has sailed at this point," JJ turned to face the massive wooden box in the truck bed.

"No, Top, don't go faster," Bianca sat up straighter, pushing herself forward in the middle seat to be heard.

"What?" JJ scoffed.

"The cross isn't attached to anything–" Bianca tried to explain.

"You guys are a nightmare," Topper glanced into the backseat. "Do you argue about absolutely everything?!"

"Every rasshole thing now put the pedal to the metal, boy!" Cleo finally snapped.

"Maybe put it a little bit!" JJ yelled over the engine. "You're going sixty-five!"