032 surrender

032surrender

032
surrender

Bianca Prescott didn't realize how deeply entwined she was with JJ Maybank until she tried to walk away from him

She knew then, as she strolled the barely-lit, empty streets toward the Sheriff's station, she didn't want to leave him. God, it was killing her to leave him. But she couldn't love him like this.

Bianca loved him like a crime scene before the crime was even committed. She kept her running shoes beside her soul every night, one eye open in case things changed while she slept. Her back stayed tense as though waiting to fight a sudden storm that might engulf her because she had already seen hell.

And since then, all she kept doing was pushing him away. If Bianca kept it up, she would only hurt him like Rafe hurt her. And the thought of scarring someone so deeply, and that someone being JJ, made her want to die.

Seven thousand, two hundred and twenty-six.

That's how many steps Bianca took. That's how far she walked to reach the Kildare County Sheriff's station. She kept count because she knew if she thought of anything other than putting one foot in front of the other, she would bail.

Bianca's heart pounded as she fidgeted with the shark tooth around her neckline. Bianca wasn't sad anymore. She was numb. And numb, she knew, was somehow worse.

The tall, white building towered over her. She knew once she walked in, there was no turning back. And yet, despite the agonizing ache pressing against her ribs, Bianca pushed the door open.

Glancing around, she noted the empty waiting room chairs on her right and to her left, a police radio crackling behind the reception desk. Bianca stopped in front of the white-haired lady with golden hoops working the counter and smiled politely.

"Well, hello there," She pushed her spectacles to the top of her head to see the girl better. "What can I do for you tonight, Miss?"

"Um," Bianca shifted, wringing her hands together. A cold draft breezed past her from where she forgot to shut the door, "I was hoping to see the Sheriff."