~ 4. 02 ~

My head was spinning, but I didn't let that stop me

My head was spinning, but I didn't let that stop me. I had to reach them before it was too late. There was something wrong I just knew it! The nauseating feeling in my stomach just didn't go away whatever I did. My lungs were begging me to stop running, but I needed to keep going.

The burning smell was already in my nose the moment I ran into my street. My eyes got wider when I saw the angry blaze coming closer and closer.

My skin began to burn already when I reached my house. There were already people coming out of their houses, looking at what the hell was happening. My mind was racing with the thought of the kids being still in the house. Hoping to find them safe and well I spun around thinking they might have run to one of the neighbors, but they were nowhere to be seen.

"This happened because you left."

With a jerk, I turned back around when I heard a voice coming from behind me.

My eyes widened when I saw myself standing there.

"What?" I mutter looking from her to the house.

"You left escaping this place, but those innocent kids were left behind. Miss Ward needed money and selling you off would have solved that problem, but you left so she needed to find a way to get that money no matter what." The big smile never left her face when she spoke.

"She was awful, but she wouldn't kill to get money!" I explained looking from the house back to her.

"Are you sure?"

I was about to answer her when I heard screams coming from inside.

"Oh my God....." I mutter before running inside the burning building.

The smoke quickly hit my face making me cough hard before I put my arm in front of my nose and mouth. I was in the hallway downstairs and I couldn't see or hear them hear. I was trying to listen, but the noise of the house breaking down and the flames around me made it impossible to hear anything else.

"Miles! Anybody!" I ran up the stairs trying to see something, but to the smoke, it was getting harder to see or breathe.

Tears stream down my face because of the smoke burning them.

"Help!" A voice and banging came from further down the hall.

The kids' rooms.

Immediately I ran upstairs.

"Hello!" My voice screamed out when I reached the door.

My eyes widened when I saw that the door was nailed shut with planks. That crazy bitch! I turned to another room and saw that it was nailed shut as well. In fact, all the kid's doors were blocked

I can't believe she would actually do this! I shook my head before reaching for the doorknob trying to open it somehow. A hiss left my voice together with my hand pulling back.