Chapter 19

Two years later

I parry the Grand Inquisitor's blows with a stubbornness that very few can match. I'm pretty sure I get it from my father, although according to the occasional holonet story rebroadcasted, my mother had a stubborn streak as well. I refuse to give in without a fight, and there's always the off-chance that I might beat him. Unlikely, but possible. I make a lunge of my own, swinging at the Grand Inquisitor's head. He parries and I jump back quickly. I try to return to ready stance, but I'm still sore from yesterday's training session. My leg aches and I'm off balance. The Grand Inquisitor notices I'm leaning on my right leg and uses the Force to push it. It collapses and I fall onto my left knee. I wince as my leg protests. The Grand Inquisitor's blade hovers next to my throat. I glance at my deactivated lightsaber, which is still in my hand. That's a mistake. The Grand Inquisitor yanks the blade out of my hands. Almost casually, he flicks his lightsaber across my face. It misses my eyes, thank goodness, but it leaves a black, smoking burn on the side of my face, from the very edge of my eye to my jaw. I stay in the same position for a moment, before my brain registers what just happened. Then I fight the urge to scream. I double over, bringing my shaking hand up to cover the burn mark. "Go." It's the only word the Grand Inquisitor needs to say. In barely five seconds my lightsaber is hung on the wall and I'm outside in the hall.

Stormtroopers walk by, either marching with their unit or just two of them chatting. None of the troopers say a word to me, although the ones not marching give me a respectful nod. My hand is still cupped over my burn, but I cross the other arm over my chest and keep my eyes on the floor. I don't need to see where I'm going. I've walked the path from the training room to my sleeping quarters one thousand, four hundred and ninety-one times. Yeah, I keep track. There's nothing better to do. I grit my teeth and fight tears.

Once I'm inside the room I sleep in-it's not my home-I slide down so I'm sitting with my back against the wall. I pull my knees up to my chest and wrap my arms around them before laying my forehead on the top of my knees so my face is hidden.
***
The shuttle lands with a light thud on the floor of the docking bay. The ship's commander and the Grand Inquisitor wait for the ramp to lower. Rows of stormtroopers line up on either side of the ship. The sound of mechanical breathing fills the air as Darth Vader steps off the ramp. The commander and Grand Inquisitor bow. Luea is nowhere to be seen. Darth Vader stands in silence for a few moments. "My Lord, it is an honor to have you visit my ship." The nervous commander says. None of the stormtroopers move.

"You may go, Commander." Vader easily dismisses the man. The commander leaves to return to his post, slightly relieved, but the Grand Inquisitor stays. Darth Vader starts to walk toward the nearest hall. The Grand Inquisitor follows. Once the hanger bay is out of view, Darth Vader stops in the middle of a deserted hall. "Where is the girl?" He asks.

"In her room. We just finished training for the day." The Grand Inquisitor says, casually leaving out the part where he'd sliced her face. Vader probably wouldn't take too kindly to that. He knew that the girl is Darth Vader's daughter, which meant that she would most likely take his place as Grand Inquisitor someday. Just the thought of that made the Grand Inquisitor's blood boil. He hated that girl. Vader, meanwhile, was warring with himself. The remnants of Anakin Skywalker that remained wanted to ask about how his daughter was doing, while the Vader side of him wanted to ask how the apprentice's training was going.

"How is the girl's training going?" Vader asks. Darth Vader had won the battle, but he couldn't entirely keep the emotionless facade up. But between the mask and the breathing control, it was hard to tell.

"She learns slowly and her concentration, focus, and control of the Force need much work." The Grand Inquisitor says.

"I will be watching some of your training sessions." Darth Vader says. The Grand Inquisitor nods. Vader starts walking away. Since Vader had given no indication that he wanted the Grand Inquisitor to follow, the Grand Inquisitor stayed where he was.
***
I pull myself back to my feet, ready to go and read a book, just for a little bit of time away from my misery here, when the door slides open. On instinct, I bring my hand up to hide the slash on my face. Darth Vader stands in the doorway.