Chapter 32

The morning before Empire Day, my holodisk wakes me up at an ungodly hour. "What?" I ask irritably, opening the channel. "Oh. Hi, Father. What's wrong?"

"The Emperor has asked for you to participate in the Empire Day celebrations on Coruscant," he says. I sit up and streach.

"You had to tell me this at 0330?" I ask/complain.

"Because of the hyperspace distance between the two planets, you must leave as soon as possible."

"I'd rather miss every Empire Day than wake up this early again."

Father's mask remains expressionless because... well, it's a mask, but I faintly sense amusement. "I understand the sentiment, but that is a choice neither of us have." I shake my head and blink, trying to wake up more. "There is a transport headed here leaving in half a standard hour. You do not need to pack anything."

I frown, confused. "Wait, I thought I was kicked off Coruscant because of what happened with--" I cut myself off at the last second, but we both know who I'm talking about. I wince and look away from the blue projection. I've been trying not to think about Alek, but I really miss him. Leia too, but at least I know she's safe.

"You were not 'kicked off' of Coruscant. You were sent to Lothal in case the boy's family tried to pin his kidnapping on you," Father explains. I look back at him, then away again. I never met Alek's parents, so I can't offer any opinion on them. "The media has been all over it and you did not need that attention while missing your friend." I could make some kind of snarky remark here, but it doesn't feel right.

"You're at least looking into it, right?" Alek went to AOTE with me. That school is for the rich people. More likely than not, his parents are really rich and/or influential.

"Yes. Every lead has turned out to be nothing or a trap. You may have to accept that your friend is gone." I shake my head.

"I won't. I would've felt it if he died." Father doesn't say anything and we fall into awkward silence.  "Well, I've got a ship to catch, I guess. See you in a few hours." I end the call, stand, and stretch again. Before I leave, I send two messages, one to Aresko and one to the rebels. They both say basically the same thing: Going to Coruscant for Empire Day. Catch up when I'm back.

The ship leaving for Coruscant is too small to have any kind of bed, so I steal the copilot's chair once we're in hyperspace for a nap. I sleep most of the trip away. My dreams are normal — weird, but not bad. The pilot wakes me a few minutes before we arrive on Coruscant. The co-pilot takes her seat back and I'm banished to the back. As soon the ship lurches out of hyperspace, I reach out to my father. Our link is still weak — too much distance — but stronger than it's been in weeks, now that we're not half a galaxy apart. Once we enter atmosphere, it's strong enough to talk through. Hey, I send. Are you going to be waiting when we land and give the poor pilots a heart attack?  Father isn't amused by my joke. He hates Empire Day.

Someone is waiting to retrieve you.

Who?

You'll know. Father cuts the conversation and I close my eyes just long enough for an eye roll. Just saying 'you'll know' isn't enough to go on. The boarding ramp lowers. Steam hisses into my face and I wave it away.

The hangar bay looks the same as the one I'd spent hours after school in just a month and a half ago. Cleaner and busier, it's true, but the same basic structure. It sends a pang through my chest. It almost seems like Leia and Alek will be around the corner, arguing about some remark a teacher made.

I scan the troopers and lieutenants running around. No one I recognize. I step off the ramp and peer around the shuttle. "Commander!" The shout comes from my left and I whip around to see Lieutenant Coren Rorak. I grin and walk over to him. "You've grown, Berrie," he says, gently tugging my braid. I push his hand away and roll my eyes.