Chapter 22: Trip To Gongaga

The morning sun painted the sky in hues of pink and orange as a new day dawned. In her trailer, although she couldn't see it from her part of the slums, Cindy stirred from a restless night of contemplation. The weight of the revelations lingered, but the prospect of a journey with Zack provided a glimmer of solace.

As she sat up, the burdens of Angeal and Genesis, while still present, seemed to momentarily fade into the background. The revelation of being Hollander's daughter and the dark experiments she endured took center stage in her thoughts. The personal nature of these discoveries left an indelible mark on her, and sleep had been elusive.

Yet, as Cindy sat up, there was a subtle lightness—a feeling that, for now, she could set aside the heavy truths and focus on the journey ahead. The thought of leaving with Zack, venturing to his hometown, became a beacon of hope.

Determined to embrace this newfound clarity, she began packing a small bag. Essentials and a few extra clothes found their way into the backpack. Dressing in an old sweater and shorts, she spared little thought for her appearance.

With the backpack slung over her shoulder, Cindy left her trailer, the city awaiting her with its morning bustle. During the commute to Zack's apartment, she took the time to think. Questions about Gongaga, Zack's family, and the life that awaited them stirred in her mind.

Before she knew it, she stood outside Zack's apartment, anticipation and a sense of the unknown filling the air. The door awaited her. As she raised her hand to knock, Cindy couldn't help but wonder how this journey would unfold.

Zack opened the door with a bright smile, the anticipation dancing in his eyes like sunlight breaking through the clouds. "You ready to go?"

Cindy returned his infectious smile, a mixture of excitement and uncertainty swirling in her gaze.

He effortlessly slung his bag over his shoulder, a bag devoid of the SOLDIER emblem, signaling a departure from the regimented life they'd known within Midgar's confines. With a soft click, he closed and locked the door, the sound echoing a closing chapter in their tale.

As they stepped into the outside world, the atmosphere underwent a subtle transformation. The urban symphony of Midgar, with its constant hum and distant echoes, gave way to the serene crunch of gravel beneath their feet. Dressed in casual attire, they walked together, the weight of SOLDIER replaced by the lightness of anticipation.

Zack chuckled, lines forming at the corners of his eyes, adding a warmth to his gaze. "You look less intimidating not in uniform. I like it."

Cindy's laughter, a melody of freedom, joined the ambient sounds around them. "I'll take that as a compliment, thanks."

Their footsteps led them to Zack's car, the familiar click of the trunk opening. Bags, not laden with the expectations of SOLDIER, but filled with the essentials of an adventure, found their place in the car.

Before Cindy could take her seat, Zack spoke with a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Cindy... Before we go, I just wanna say something." Their eyes met, conveying unspoken understanding. "When we leave Midgar, I want you to leave all this messy stuff behind. Just enjoy the trip, okay?"

Her smile softened, a subtle nod expressing gratitude and trust. "Okay, Zack."

With a clap of hands, Zack exuded contagious excitement. "Good! Then let's get going!"

The engine, a purring symphony of freedom, came to life, and they left the city's skyline in the rearview mirror. The open road stretched before them like an unwritten poem, inviting them to pen new verses of shared experiences. Toward Gongaga, they drove, leaving behind the shadows of the past and embracing the promise of a brighter, more uncertain, but undoubtedly hopeful future.