Chapter 32: Junon

Arriving at Junon, the once vibrant port city now lay shrouded in a thick veil of smoke, punctuated by the bursts of explosions that reverberated through the air. The streets, once bustling with activity, were now deserted save for the scattered remnants of civilians darting for cover amidst the chaos.

Cindy's heart sank as she beheld the scene of devastation, her eyes scanning the horizon for any sign of hope amidst the despair. "This is terrible," she murmured, her voice a whisper against the cacophony of destruction.

Suddenly, emerging from the billowing smoke like specters from the abyss, came the telltale figures of Genesis copies. Clad in the iconic attire of their progenitor, they moved with an eerie sense of purpose, their crimson eyes gleaming with malice.

Zack's muscles tensed at the sight, his hand instinctively reaching for the hilt of his sword. "Genesis copies?" he exclaimed, his voice a mixture of surprise and determination.

With a fluid grace born of countless battles, Zack sprang into action, his sword flashing in the dim light as he engaged the approaching clones. Each strike was executed with precision, the clang of metal echoing through the chaos as he swiftly dispatched his adversaries.

"These guys are still around?" Cindy's voice wavered with disbelief as she watched Zack's display of skill, her mind struggling to comprehend the resurgence of Genesis's influence.

Tseng, his gaze fixed on the unfolding skirmish, spoke with a gravity that matched the severity of the situation. "...Maybe Genesis is still around, too," he proposed, his words laden with the weight of uncertainty.

Cindy's brow furrowed in confusion at Tseng's cryptic remark. "Huh?" she questioned, her voice tinged with curiosity and apprehension.

Tseng paused, his eyes scanning the horizon before returning to meet Cindy's gaze. "When the soul leaves the body, it returns to the lifestream," he began, his voice a solemn undertone amidst the chaos. "The river of souls that circles our planet."

Zack's expression darkened at the implications of Tseng's words. "Yeah, and...?" he prompted, a sense of urgency creeping into his tone.

"The possibility exists that Genesis's soul is..." Tseng's voice trailed off, leaving the implication hanging in the air like a heavy shroud.

Zack's eyes widened as realization dawned upon him. "Controlling copies from the lifestream? Is this what you're telling me?" he interjected, his voice laced with a mixture of disbelief and dread.

Tseng nodded solemnly, his gaze unwavering as he confirmed Zack's suspicions. "It's a theory we can't afford to ignore," he replied, his voice tinged with grim resolve. "We need to gather more information about what's happening here and put an end to it before it spirals out of control."

Tseng's voice sliced through the tense air like a blade, his words resonating with the gravity of their situation. "Hollander is currently in Junon. His presence here and this attack can't be unrelated."

Zack's features tightened, his brows knitting together in a grim expression as he processed the implications. "It's not over, is it?" His voice held a mixture of frustration and determination, a reflection of the relentless nature of their adversaries.

With a nod, Tseng affirmed their next course of action. "We'll begin evacuating the residents. Cindy, you find Hollander and make sure he's kept safe. Zack, remain here, I'll need your assistance." His tone brooked no argument, each word weighted with the urgency of their mission.

Cindy's stomach churned at the thought of protecting Hollander, a man whose actions had caused immeasurable harm. Yet, she suppressed her personal feelings, steeling herself to fulfill her duty. Her jaw clenched in silent resolve as she acknowledged the directive.