Chapter 28: Distance

The passage of time seemed to blur together in a whirlwind of uncertainty and upheaval within Shinra. As the days turned into weeks, and the weeks into months, Zack found himself caught in the midst of a turbulent storm brewing within the company's ranks.

Director Lazard's sudden disappearance sent shockwaves through the organization, revealing a web of deceit and corruption that had been festering beneath the surface. The revelation that company funds were being diverted to fund Hollander's experiments only added fuel to the growing chaos, leaving Shinra reeling from the fallout of betrayal and mistrust.

Amidst the turmoil, Zack found himself sidelined, his once-active role within SOLDIER now reduced to a frustrating state of inactivity. With fewer missions to occupy his time, boredom gnawed at him relentlessly, leaving him restless and disheartened.

But amidst the chaos of Shinra's unraveling, there was one absence that weighed heavily on Zack's heart: Cindy. Ever since the day Angeal fell, she had retreated into the shadows, her presence elusive and distant. Despite his best efforts to reach out to her, she seemed to slip further and further away, disappearing into the labyrinthine corridors of the company or burying herself in the solitude of the records room.

Zack couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness that settled over him in her absence. He longed to bridge the growing distance between them, to reclaim the connection they had once shared, but he couldn't shake the feeling of helplessness that consumed him.

Each passing day only served to deepen Zack's sense of longing and frustration. He missed her more than words could express, her absence leaving a gaping void in his life that no amount of missions or distractions could fill. Despite the passage of time, the memory of their confession of feelings in Gongaga lingered like a bittersweet echo, a poignant reminder of the love he still harbored for her.

But as Zack grappled with his own feelings of confusion and uncertainty, he couldn't help but wonder why Cindy was avoiding him. He knew her well enough to understand her tendency to face challenges alone, but he couldn't shake the feeling of hurt and confusion that gnawed at him. What had caused her to retreat into herself, and how could he break through the walls she had erected around her heart?

"Zack?"

The sound of his name jolted him back to reality, accompanied by the gentle snapping of fingers in his face. Blinking, Zack refocused his gaze on Kunsel, sitting across from him at the table. He managed a weak smile, a feeble attempt to mask the turmoil brewing beneath the surface.

"Yeah, sorry," he muttered, his voice betraying the weight of his thoughts.

Kunsel regarded him with a mix of concern and understanding, sensing the depth of Zack's inner turmoil. He hesitated for a moment, choosing his words carefully before speaking.

"She'll come around eventually," Kunsel offered, his tone gentle yet reassuring.

Zack's expression softened at Kunsel's words, a flicker of hope igniting within him. Despite the darkness that seemed to cloud his mind, there was a glimmer of optimism in Kunsel's reassurance. He nodded slowly, silently acknowledging the truth in his friend's words.

"Yeah, you're probably right," Zack replied, his voice tinged with a hint of gratitude.

As they sat together in the bustling cafeteria, surrounded by the noise and chatter of their fellow SOLDIERs, Zack felt a sense of solace in Kunsel's presence. Even amidst the uncertainty and turmoil, there was comfort to be found in the unwavering support of a true friend. And as he glanced across the table at Kunsel, a silent vow formed in his heart: no matter what challenges lay ahead, he would weather them with the strength and camaraderie of those who stood by his side.