𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

TORI NA'REENA JAMES SALEM, V

TORI NA'REENA JAMES
SALEM, V.A.

" Y'know they sum colleges closer to home, righ? I don't like the idea of you bein so far away." Mama frowns, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

I sigh, nodding my head at her words. " I know,mama. but there's nothing here for me in Salem."

Her brown eyes glisten with disapproval, her beautiful dark skin brightening as the morning sun peaks against the clouds. " Baby if this is bout what happened between you and ya daddy-"

" Mama," I interrupt, grabbing a hold of her hands and holding them closely to my chest. " This is for the best, okay? Getting accepted into NYU is a blessing,"

" I know that, but why'd you have to live so far away? To New York at that! Who's to say sum won't happen ta you up there? You know how crazy folks are right na." Mama protests, gesturing towards my black duffel bag.

I could only imagine what mama must be feeling, watching her only daughter move six hours away. But I knew I didn't belong here, daddy made sure of that.

Taking my silence into account, She exhales." Well then," looking off towards the various acres of farmland surrounding us. " I guess that settles it."

I slowly let go of her hands, tucking my hands in the back of my jeans. " We knew this was gonna happen, sooner or later." I mumble, trying to rid the guilt that was tugging at my chest.

She smiles sadly, her eyes glossing with tears." yeah, but I ain't think it would be this soon."

Salem, Virginia was nothing short of the basic small town in the middle of nowhere. Lucious green crops, broken down warehouses, small businesses— you name it. It was a town where everyone knew everyone; down to their parents, sons and daughters, and grandkids. Iike all towns, but it had its flaws. Though I lived here all my life, this place never once felt like a home. I have my daddy to thank for that.

Cassandra James and Malcom James made up only a small percentage of black farmers here. Daddy worked his ass off to gain respect from not only the town council, but also the mayor of Salem as well. We had three chickens, four horses, five cows, 4 acres of mustard collard greens, and more. As a small town, I was raised to help the community whenever I possibly could.

" Someday, all this—" my father stops to gestures towards the farm, " will be yours. They are plenty of agricultural schools here in Salem, and once you get yo' degree, you can finally start workin'."

That was one thing me and my dad never agreed on. Daddy always saw his dreams, his goals, and his desires. But never once did he ask me about what I wanted.